Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us> on 2004/01/18 09:23:43 UTC

Problem building rev 8372 on RedHat 7.3

Something has happened between release of 0.36.0 and today's HEAD rev
8273.  On RedHat 9 it builds fine.  On RedHat 7 I'm getting the following
during the "autogen.sh" process:

+ sh autogen.sh
buildcheck: checking installation...
buildcheck: autoconf version 2.53 (ok)
buildcheck: autoheader version 2.53 (ok)
buildcheck: libtool version 1.4.2 (ok)
Copying libtool helper: /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
Creating build-outputs.mk...
  File "./gen-make.py", line 159
    print >> opt_conf, "[options]"
           ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
ERROR: gen-make.py failed

Does anyone have any ideas?

   Thanks!

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt

Re: Problem building rev 8372 on RedHat 7.3

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:

> On Jan 18, 2004, at 4:23 AM, David Summers wrote:
>> Creating build-outputs.mk...
>>   File "./gen-make.py", line 159
>>     print >> opt_conf, "[options]"
>>            ^
>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>> ERROR: gen-make.py failed
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Looks like an incompatability with earlier versions of python.  Either
> install a newer version, or write a patch for gen-make.py to work on
> the older python.  It's almost certainly a trivial fix, since that bit
> of code isn't doing anything especially complicated.

Looks like r8109 introduced a Python 2 dependency (I assume print >>
is a Python 2 feature).  In the past the plan has always been to have
gen-make only require 1.5.2.

--
Philip Martin

Re: Problem building rev 8372 on RedHat 7.3

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Jan 18, 2004, at 4:23 AM, David Summers wrote:

> Something has happened between release of 0.36.0 and today's HEAD rev
> 8273.  On RedHat 9 it builds fine.  On RedHat 7 I'm getting the
> following
> during the "autogen.sh" process:
>
> + sh autogen.sh
> buildcheck: checking installation...
> buildcheck: autoconf version 2.53 (ok)
> buildcheck: autoheader version 2.53 (ok)
> buildcheck: libtool version 1.4.2 (ok)
> Copying libtool helper: /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
> Creating build-outputs.mk...
>   File "./gen-make.py", line 159
>     print >> opt_conf, "[options]"
>            ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
> ERROR: gen-make.py failed
>

> Does anyone have any ideas?

Looks like an incompatability with earlier versions of python.  Either
install a newer version, or write a patch for gen-make.py to work on
the older python.  It's almost certainly a trivial fix, since that bit
of code isn't doing anything especially complicated.

-garrett