Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> on 2014/09/26 18:01:20 UTC

Re: spam - why spam score is low,

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014, Reindl Harald wrote:

> we have a domain with a subdomain in nearly every country on this planet
> and so the sources of mail are very different

Ooo. Have you considered participating in masschecks?

   The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that the stupid
   desire to remain ignorant.                             -- Jim Bacon
  848 days since the first successful private support mission to ISS (SpaceX)

Re: spam - why spam score is low,

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 26.09.2014 um 18:01 schrieb John Hardin:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2014, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> we have a domain with a subdomain in nearly every country on this planet and so the sources of mail are very
>> different
>
> Ooo. Have you considered participating in masschecks?

sorry, technical not possible - the server with SA don't store any message
by policy - it's just a in-between-relay and many destinations are just
forwarders back to "the world"

* message hits postscreen
* if it survives RBL weight -> postfix
* HELO/PTR checks
* after survive that 5% of all mail -> SpamAssassin
* if it don't survive SA -> reject by milter, never a byte stored on disk

well, the 5% making it to SA at all would not help much since
it's the identical crap as for local users

to be honest: i don't trust such automatic checks in general and
hence have disabled autolearning - well, i need to suck the pill
of collect training messages and feed the bayes - until now it
works great

i even made a mistake in that context myself and moved a few
messages a (customer complained why they where flagged as spam
and forwarded them as attachment) to the "ham" folder, within
the next minute i had 3 clear junk messages in my own inbox

well, delete from ham-folder and rebuild bayes from scratch -> all fine again