Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> on 2019/09/18 09:10:35 UTC

[POLL] Should notifications of NEW Jira issues go to dev@?

Hi,

The transition to issues@ and builds@ lists (LUCENE-8951) is now completed, and I already enjoy a quieter dev@ folder!

I'd like to check with all of you whether there is interest in getting notified here at dev@ about NEW Jira issue created. Currently there is an average of 4 new issues per day. The main motivation for this would be for those who want to follow new development but not all the details/discussions. We could easily configure JIRA to send all [Created] mails to dev@ in addition to issues@. Or we could try to have one daily digest mail of new issues, whether that's a small bot or a feature in JIRA (don't know). Let's to a poll:

[ ] Leave it as is - I like quiet
[ ] A mail to dev@ for every new JIRA
[ ] One daily digest mail per day with a list of new JIRAs
[ ] Other (explain): ___________________

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Re: [POLL] Should notifications of NEW Jira issues go to dev@?

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@gmail.com>.
[ ] Leave it as is - I like quiet
[x] A mail to dev@ for every new JIRA
[x] One daily digest mail per day with a list of new JIRAs
[ ] Other (explain): ___________________

http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)

Re: [POLL] Should notifications of NEW Jira issues go to dev@?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Always some clown doesn't follow the rules. I think there's
significant value in seeing the new JIRAs go by, and 4 e-mails a day
isn't onerous so either of the choices I've marked are fine with me.

And thanks for working on this! Unfortunately my laptop is in the shop
with screen problems and all my Apple Mail filters went with it so I
don't get the benefit of all this goodness (yet). Siiiiggggghhhhh...

[ ] Leave it as is - I like quiet
[v] A mail to dev@ for every new JIRA
[v] One daily digest mail per day with a list of new JIRAs
[ ] Other (explain): ___________________

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@apache.org>.
[ ] Leave it as is - I like quiet

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.
I've been playing with JIRA's built-in email digest subscription to see
what it's like.  At the bottom of this email is the first part of it,
edited to be a fewer number of issues.  See
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/working-with-search-results-861257284.html?_ga=2.58203242.1970990754.1565278227-958989.1565278227#ReceivingSearchResultsviaEmail-SubscribingtoaFilter
for further details.

My vote:
[v ] One daily digest mail per day with a list of new JIRAs

Rationale:  I think this should cater to new/interested users, not us
committers that are always tracking the latest activity.  We don't need any
change; we have all the mail to filter as we want.  A new user may not want
to subscribe to the firehose of issues@ which may be overwhelming.  The
only thing I can think of that counters this notion is that users could
just as well use JIRA to set up their own subscription to their tastes,
perhaps to a different schedule or only looking at Lucene or whatever.  But
it's a little complex to do and they might not bother.

~ David

Filter: Solr Recent Updated (23 issues)
Subscriber: dsmiley

Key         Summary
SOLR-13101  Shared storage support in SolrCloud
SOLR-7353   Duplicated child/grand-child docs in a block-join structure
should be removed by the shard hosting the docs not by the query controller
SOLR-6596   Atomic update and adding child doc not working together
SOLR-12638  Support atomic updates of nested/child documents for
nested-enabled schema
SOLR-13778  Windows JDK SSL Test Failure trend: SSLException: Software
caused connection abort: recv failed

You may edit this subscription at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira
/secure/EditSubscription!default.jspa?subId=22320&filterId=12347195

Re: [POLL] Should notifications of NEW Jira issues go to dev@?

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
My vote:
[v ] Leave it as is

I guess one could achieve the same goal without sending to dev@ if Jira allowed users to configure notifications for certain projects individually. We could then document somewhere that option for those who don’t want to subscribe to issues@. Now the notification setting can only be changed by admins (or rather INFRA).

Infra will upgrade to latest jira with LDAP support soon, perhaps the new version has something?

Jan Høydahl

Posted by Namgyu Kim <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org>.

wrote:

> [v ] Leave it as is - I like quiet
>
> I like the clear separation between the lists. It already feels less
> hectic/overwhelming to me. I will read both as often as I can anyway, so I
> don’t feel I’ll miss anything if the lists stay the way they are now.
>
> There is a Jira plugin to support email digest notifications. I know
> nothing about it, just found it in a quick Google search for Jira
> notifications. A custom bot might be a better solution, but thought I’d
> point it out in case Infra would be willing to install it:
> https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1217383/email-notifications-digest?hosting=server&tab=overview
>
> Thanks for working on these types of improvements!
>
> Cassandra
> On Sep 18, 2019, 8:54 AM -0500, Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>,
> wrote:
>
> Going for a daily digest bot we could clarify this in the email text:
>
> Here is a list of new Lucene/Solr issues created on YYYY-MM-DD
>
> LUCENE-NNN  Nice new feature
> SOLR-NNN    Unfortunate bug
>
> To get updates for these issues in the future, watch them in JIRA.
>

> 18. sep. 2019 kl. 15:34 skrev Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>:
>
> [x] Leave it as is - I like quiet
>
> It's not that much that I like quiet, but rather that I can easily
> imagine it become confusing over time as new contributors join the
> list and think they get notified about all interactions on JIRA, only
> to notice several days later that it only includes notifications about
> new issues. This behavior can be configured easily enough in email
> clients.
>
> --
> Adrien

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: [POLL] Should notifications of NEW Jira issues go to dev@?

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
[v ] Leave it as is - I like quiet

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
My vote:

> [ ] Leave it as is - I like quiet
> [X] A mail to dev@ for every new JIRA
> [X] One daily digest mail per day with a list of new JIRAs
> [ ] Other (explain): ___________________

I am often not interested in all updates on existing issues, I just pick some of them. But as new issues need to be assigned to somebody, a mail to a separate list is a good idea.

I know, you can do this with mail filters matching "issue created", but sending the new issues to dev@ makes also a good way for an external person to figure out what's going on and to get an overview what is currently worked on.

A daily digest is also fine, although I am not sure how to implement this. Option (2) is easy, as we just have to add dev@lao in the notification scheme to the event "issue created". Plain simple.

Uwe

Re: [POLL] Should notifications of NEW Jira issues go to dev@?

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Either one of "Created" notifications works for me and would be very nice:
> [X] A mail to dev@ for every new JIRA
> [X] One daily digest mail per day with a list of new JIRAs

I sort of had that workflow already with GMail rules, so it would be
nice to have it more explicitly. And, the subscribed issues still
arrive directly anyway, so nothing needs to be changed there.

Regards,
   Alex.