Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Thomas Weise <th...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/24 20:26:12 UTC

Re: [incubator-apex-core] License header format - REVIEW ONLY (#73)

Thanks for the review!

The duplicate headers in *.java are caused by leading blank lines, which we
need to remove to make the automated formatting work. My idea is that we
first do those tweaks and then update everything with the final header. See
also #69

I'm actually in favor of excluding .txt files from header formatting. Other
thoughts on this?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> I don¹t want to be pedantic here, but, according to Apache, I¹d *only*
> keep license headers out of .txt files if they contain "without any degree
> of creativity in either its literal elements or its structure². That said,
> I¹d, at a minimum, put a license header on every README.md file and review
> the rest.

While the policy is that documentation files ghouls have apache headers [1], it usually left out of README files e.g. [2], but there’s no harm in adding it if people want to.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-docs
2. https://github.com/apache/httpd/blob/trunk/README

Re: [incubator-apex-core] License header format - REVIEW ONLY (#73)

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.
README/NOTICE/LICENSE/DISCLAIMER files can all be added to the exclude list for the rat-plugin.

There will be similar cases for various binary files ( logos for example ) too.

thanks
— Hitesh

Posted by Amol Kekre <am...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com>.