Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Tom Klaasen <to...@pandora.be> on 2003/06/03 01:03:04 UTC

New forrest skin

All,

As I've announced some weeks ago, I've put some work into developing a
"only-divs-for-layout" skin. Today, it has reached a pretty stable state
(meaning that some cleaning needs to be done, but the bones and a lot of
meat are there)

You can see the result at http://users.pandora.be/tom.klaasen/forrest/
(won't stay there forever though).

Source is browsable on
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rssmailer/IguanacharlieSkin/

If you're still interested in adding this skin to the forrest cvs tree,
let me know what steps to do next.

(Credits: krysalis-site skin was the base for most of the xsl, and
http://forrest.iguanacharlie.com is the basis of the resulting layout.)

kr,
tomK

Re: [Mildly OT] Multiple Stylesheets & Favelets (was Re: New forrest skin)

Posted by Tom Klaasen <to...@pandora.be>.
Clay Leeds wrote:

> Tom,
>
> On 6/2/2003 4:03 PM, Tom Klaasen wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> As I've announced some weeks ago, I've put some work into developing
>> a "only-divs-for-layout" skin. Today, it has reached a pretty stable
>> state (meaning that some cleaning needs to be done, but the bones and
>> a lot of meat are there)
>>
>> You can see the result at
>> http://users.pandora.be/tom.klaasen/forrest/ (won't stay there
>> forever though).
>

> Do you have other css files (such as one w different background-color,
> font-family, etc.) to go along w your new "only-divs-for-layout" skin?
> That would be a nice addition.

Babysteps (aka "release early, release often"). First thing is to get
the current css right. I noticed that some <section>s aren't rendered
correctly (notably on the "samples" page). Unluckily, I won't be able to
work on it for some weeks to come (my summer holidays are coming up).

Nice ideas though. They'll stay on my todo-list till after I come back.
You're always welcome to beat me to it ;-)

tomK

[Mildly OT] Multiple Stylesheets & Favelets (was Re: New forrest skin)

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Tom,

On 6/2/2003 4:03 PM, Tom Klaasen wrote:
> All,
>
> As I've announced some weeks ago, I've put some work into developing a
> "only-divs-for-layout" skin. Today, it has reached a pretty stable state
> (meaning that some cleaning needs to be done, but the bones and a lot of
> meat are there)
>
> You can see the result at http://users.pandora.be/tom.klaasen/forrest/
> (won't stay there forever though).

Do you have other css files (such as one w different background-color,
font-family, etc.) to go along w your new "only-divs-for-layout" skin?
That would be a nice addition. If you added them to the header following
the examples in this link, people could switch among them:

   http://www.tantek.com/CSS/Examples/codeisfreespeech.html

There's even a stylesheet switcher for (blech!) Netscape 4.x:

   http://www.alistapart.com/stories/n4switch/

Of course, since Internet Explorer doesn't have a "use Style" menu like
Mozilla, it wouldn't know the difference (but who cares?) I guess you
could always provide a "Choose style sheet" favelet on the page for
challenged M$IE users...

[OT] BTW, there're about 20+ nifty "favelets" accessible from that site:

   http://www.tantek.com/favelets/

What's a favelet? It's a JavaScript "link" that can be clicked on or
dragged to the Personal Toolbar to perform an action (such as reSize the
window to 800x600, make all DIVs or TABLE elements on a page have a red
border, or list all IMAGE elements in an 'alert()', or validate the page
you're on w a click from the Personal ToolBar). Favelets are also
referred to as "Bookmarlets". Here're a couple of useful ones (watch
wrap on the long ones) & there're more on the above page:

ReSize window to 800x600:
javascript:void(window.resizeTo(800,600))

W3C HTML Validator for Current Page:
javascript:void(document.location='http://validator.w3.org/check?uri='+document.location)

W3C CSS Validator for current page:
javascript:void(document.location='http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri='+document.location)

View HTTP Headers:
javascript:void(document.location='http://www.delorie.com/web/headers.cgi?url='+escape(document.location))

Here's some more links to Favelets:
   http://www.slimeland.com/favelets/
   http://www.ttv.no/hegna/favelets.htm

Have a nice day!

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

Re: New forrest skin

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 01:03:04AM +0200, Tom Klaasen wrote:
> All,
>
> As I've announced some weeks ago, I've put some work into developing a
> "only-divs-for-layout" skin. Today, it has reached a pretty stable state
> (meaning that some cleaning needs to be done, but the bones and a lot of
> meat are there)
>
> You can see the result at http://users.pandora.be/tom.klaasen/forrest/
> (won't stay there forever though).
>
> Source is browsable on
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rssmailer/IguanacharlieSkin/
>
> If you're still interested in adding this skin to the forrest cvs tree,
> let me know what steps to do next.

Excellent :)  I've added it to CVS as 'forrest-css'.

I don't know if you saw, but there's a krysalis CSS available (mentioned
at http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=FOR-28).
I've added this as an alternative CSS.

Glitch-wise, the biggest problem I see is that if the font is made larger
than usual, the tab and search box expands, but its rounded top edge
doesn't.

Anyway, nice job :)  If you have any patches, might be easiest to apply
them to Sourceforge rssmailer/IguanacharlieSkin, and let us know to
synchronize.

--Jeff

Re: New forrest skin

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
BTW, I noticed when checking Tom's new Forrest skin that the w3c HTML
validation link copies the URI, making it convenient to click and get a
validation report. However, the w3c CSS link does not. Can a fix be
added to Forrest to make the w3c css link validate?

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

Re: New forrest skin

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Tom,

On 6/2/2003 4:03 PM, Tom Klaasen wrote:
> You can see the result at http://users.pandora.be/tom.klaasen/forrest/
> (won't stay there forever though).

[..]

Re: New forrest skin

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Tom Klaasen dijo:
> All,
>
> As I've announced some weeks ago, I've put some work into developing a
> "only-divs-for-layout" skin. Today, it has reached a pretty stable state
>  (meaning that some cleaning needs to be done, but the bones and a lot
> of  meat are there)

Great Job! Where the skin will be upgraded into forrest?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo