Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/30 14:09:19 UTC

Old programmers do fade away

40 years is enough. OK, it's only been 39 1/2 years. Dear Lord, has it really been that long? Programming's been fun, I've gotten to solve puzzles every day. The art and science of programming has changed over that time. Let me tell you about the joys of debugging with a Z80 stack emulator that required that you to look on the stack for variables and trace function calls by knowing how to follow frame pointers. Oh the tedium! Oh the (lack of) speed! Not to mention that 64K of memory was all you had to work with. I had a co-worker who could predict the number of bytes by which the program would shrink based on extracting common code to functions. The "good old days"...weren't...

I'd been thinking that I'd treat Lucene/Solr as a hobby, doing occasional work on it when I was bored over long winter nights. I've discovered, though, that I've been increasingly reluctant to crack open the code. I guess that after this much time, I'm ready to hang up my spurs. One major factor is the realization that there's so much going on with Lucene/Solr that simply being aware of the changes, much less trying to really understand them, isn't something I can do casually.

I bought a welder and find myself more interested in playing with that than programming. Wait until you see the squirrel-proof garden enclosure I'm building with it. If my initial plan doesn't work, next up is an electric fence along the top. The laser-sighted automatic machine gun emplacement will take more planning...Ahhh, probably won't be able to get a permit from the township for that though. Do you think the police would notice? Perhaps I should add that the local police station is two blocks away and in the line of fire. But an infrared laser powerful enough to "pre-cook" them wouldn't be as obvious would it?

Why am I so fixated on squirrels? One of the joys of gardening is fresh tomatoes rather than those red things they sell in the store. The squirrels ATE EVERY ONE OF MY TOMATOES WHILE THEY WERE STILL GREEN LAST YEAR! And the melons. In the words of B. Bunny: "Of course you realize this means war" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XNr-BQgpd0)...

Then there's working in the garden and landscaping, the desk I want to build for my wife, travel as soon as I can, maybe seeing if some sailboats need crew...you get the idea.

It's been a privilege to work with this group, you're some of the best and brightest. Many thanks to all who've generously given me their time and guidance. It's been a constant source of amazement to me how willing people are to take time out of their own life and work to help me when I've had questions. I owe a lot of people beers ;)

I'll be stopping my list subscriptions, Slack channels (dm me if you need something), un-assigning any JIRAs and that kind of thing over the next while. If anyone's interested in taking over the BadApple report, let me know and I can put the code up somewhere. It takes about 10 minutes to do each week. I won't disappear entirely, things like the code-reformatting effort are nicely self-contained for instance and something I can to casually.

My e-mail address if you need to get in touch with me is: "erick.erickson@gmail.com". There's a correlation between gmail addresses that are just a name with no numbers and a person's age... A co-worker came over to my desk in pre-historical times and said "there's this new mail service you might want to sign up for"... Like I said, 40 years is enough.

Best to all,
Erick

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Erick for your guidance, mentorship and your contributions. I
hope to meet you over Activate, if you're planning to come over (whenever
it is organized again). I shall miss you very much. Have a great time, and
I hope you secure the tomatoes and come back to Solr soon. :-)

Posted by Tomoko Uchida <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick.

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
Hey Erick!

wrote:

> [...]
> questions. I owe a lot of people beers ;)
>
> I'll be stopping my list subscriptions, Slack channels (dm me if you need
> something), un-assigning any JIRAs and that kind of thing over the next
> while. If anyone's interested in taking over the BadApple report, let me
> know and I can put the code up somewhere. It takes about 10 minutes to do
> each week. I won't disappear entirely, things like the code-reformatting
> effort are nicely self-contained for instance and something I can to
> casually.
>
> My e-mail address if you need to get in touch with me is: "
> erick.erickson@gmail.com". There's a correlation between gmail addresses
> that are just a name with no numbers and a person's age... A co-worker came
> over to my desk in pre-historical times and said "there's this new mail
> service you might want to sign up for"... Like I said, 40 years is enough.

Anshum Gupta

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for everything you've done for Lucene/Solr over the years Erick!

I sympathize with your squirrel situation... I tried to grow tomatoes the
first year when we moved into our house in NJ.
We had a small wire fence around the patch, but it was clearly insufficient
against the deer and squirrels around here.
I eventually switched to just growing stuff on my deck (for the deer), and
switched to hot peppers, which the squirrels
pretty much leave alone :-)

Hope to (eventually) see more of everyone in person!
Happy new year, and good luck staying retired Erick!

-Yonik

p.s. I first learned to program on a Z80 as well:
http://www.trs-80.org/model-1/

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
Erick -

All that puzzle solving (and sailing) has kept you young at heart, even if you are an Old Timer.  Your straightforward, no-nonsense, easy going ways in the community and in the field onsite with extremely challenging customer situations has inspired me and many others.  All of our customers you've worked with have enjoyed your attitude, efforts, and devotion and everyone wishes for you or your clone to be around.  Your non-stop, relentless efforts to compost the BadApples has made quality and reliability a template for the rest of us.  Much respect for your countless e-mails (ok, we can count them, but the number is pretty big!) educating the users with patience and thorough responses.  You don't know it unless you can teach it, and you exemplify that - thanks for all the lessons, Senior Erickson.

Best of luck with the squirrels.  Mother nature did invent a way to keep them in check, though I wouldn't recommend obtaining cats just for that purpose (cats need litter boxes, or your precious yard and garden).  One gardening lesson I learned from an old farmer: grow three times as much as you need - one third for the deer, one third for the rabbits/squirrels/etc, and if you're lucky a third for you, though I don't think it works that way after seeing just a few green hornworms demolish a large patch of peppers a few years back.

Best as always.

Love,
	Erik

Posted by Susheel Kumar <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick, You have been really helpful to everyone of us and we are gonna
to miss you a lot. But best of luck and enjoy your time !!!

Posted by Jason Gerlowski <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hey Erick,

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Erick,

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.
I'm *really* sad to see you stepping away.  You're a legend in
our community, especially with your tireless help to our users.  And you're
truly a pleasure to work with and to simply know.

40 years is enough indeed... but... I'll make a last ditch selfish request
to help me come to grips with you leaving:  consider "fading away"
(gradually) instead of more suddenly.  I sympathize with the difficulty in
keeping up with development but you needn't try to -- just restrict your
attention to a limited area of the code or topically.  This suggestion is
directed at not just you but really at anyone who wants to contribute.
This is a huge project that is probably overwhelming to newcomers.  I use a
keyword based email filter technique for this.  Maybe you might consider
helping with the Solr TLP migration?  That's more social and less code
hacking.  I hope this paragraph comes off respectfully -- it's ultimately
your choice to enjoy your time as you wish.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on retirement and further interests. It is
thought provoking to consider what to do at retirement age.  So many
possibilities.

Oh and finally, thanks for this email to announce your intentions.  It's
rather rare to get this; others fade away without an announcement and so
there is no public reflection on the departure of the individual.  I could
list some but I don't want to distract from your message.

Ryan: that squirrel water shooter video at PyCon was fantastic; thanks for
sharing!

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Wow, I am also sorry to hear this news Erick.  You have been such a massive
force in our community: your prolific personalized responses to
struggling users, your deep diving on truly tricky issues, your focus on
testing and founding the Bad Apple report, your incredible patience and
always gentle tone, the numerous issues you moved forward, even that
exciting time that the delightful auto-complete feature in gmail bit you
very publicly :)

I would prefer you slowly faded away as well :)  Cherry pick the few
interesting user emails or issues that catch your fancy.  A hobby can and
should be just that, and welding sounds like a great idea.  This is an
incredible feature of open-source: you can contribute even in small ways
without being fully up-to-date on everything, and that all still helps
nudge things forwards.

Big +1 for the video Mike S shared, and really most of Mark Rober's videos
are amazing.  E.g. his version 3 anti-package-thieves design is awesome:
https://youtu.be/h4T_LlK1VE4

As Simon would say: Ein weinendes und ein lachendes Auge (translation:
"with a smile in one eye and a tear in the other").

Happy welding, good luck with the squirrels!!  They are devilishly smart
and persistent creatures.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick!

I think open source should be a hobby. Then it's fun. And hobbies
change, as do people. 40 years is a lot of fun doing programming! But
then... you know, the welding machine sounds sooo exciting! :)

I'm really sad to see you switch interests, especially that I've
enjoyed working with you so much (can't believe you leave me with that
large tidy patch for a welder... :). But hey, it's not the end of the
world -- hope to see you sometime down the road!

Dawid

Posted by Otis Gospodnetić <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick,

Thank you for this email.  Wow, 40 years!  I was always intrigued by your
programming longevity!  Thank you for all your contributions.  Any sailing
still going on?  Enjoy part 2 :)

Otis
Solr & Elasticsearch Consulting Support Training - https://sematext.com/

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.
Eric, thanks so much for your open and true words! You will always be
part of this community if you subscribed to the lists or not. (you
can't escape :D) Thanks for your contributions, this is a team effort
and you are a part of it.

enjoy the welding!!

simon

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
Finding something that interests you even more is a great reason to move
forward, I wish you a lot of fun with the welder and hope the squirrels
will leave your tomatoes alone. Thank you for all your contributions and
your great community spirit.

wrote:

> [...]
> questions. I owe a lot of people beers ;)
>
> I'll be stopping my list subscriptions, Slack channels (dm me if you need
> something), un-assigning any JIRAs and that kind of thing over the next
> while. If anyone's interested in taking over the BadApple report, let me
> know and I can put the code up somewhere. It takes about 10 minutes to do
> each week. I won't disappear entirely, things like the code-reformatting
> effort are nicely self-contained for instance and something I can to
> casually.
>
> My e-mail address if you need to get in touch with me is: "
> erick.erickson@gmail.com". There's a correlation between gmail addresses
> that are just a name with no numbers and a person's age... A co-worker came
> over to my desk in pre-historical times and said "there's this new mail
> service you might want to sign up for"... Like I said, 40 years is enough.

Adrien

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Posted by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu>.
Your presence on the user mailing list will be sorely missed. You've
been an invaluable source of good advice for years. I owe you at least
$bignum beers.

Best of luck with the squirrel problem (they are rather tasty) and any
other fun projects!

Take care, and thank you,

 - Bram

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Posted by Ryan Ernst <ry...@iernst.net>.
Good luck on getting rid of those squirrels, Erick. Maybe this will give
you inspiration for other ways to get rid of them. It was one of the
coolest talks I can remember attending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPgqfnKG_T4

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@gmail.com>.
Good luck and enjoy the welder. I did some welding many years ago, and it's
quite a cool thing to turn two bits of metal into a single piece. Hopefully
you've not had to learn about the UV emissions given off by the arc by
getting a good solid sunburn the way I did :).

The community will certainly miss your input. I've found reading your

As for squirrels, they are living proof that time on task matters... they
have 24/7 to consider how to get to that feeder/garden/whatever, and the
ultimate motivation. Most humans put a few hours a week into keeping them
out, hence the frequency with which they win.

Best of luck and enjoy!

-Gus

--
http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Posted by Vincenzo D'Amore <v....@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
> questions. I owe a lot of people beers ;)
>
> I'll be stopping my list subscriptions, Slack channels (dm me if you need
> something), un-assigning any JIRAs and that kind of thing over the next
> while. If anyone's interested in taking over the BadApple report, let me
> know and I can put the code up somewhere. It takes about 10 minutes to do
> each week. I won't disappear entirely, things like the code-reformatting
> effort are nicely self-contained for instance and something I can to
> casually.
>
> My e-mail address if you need to get in touch with me is: "
> erick.erickson@gmail.com". There's a correlation between gmail addresses
> that are just a name with no numbers and a person's age... A co-worker came
> over to my desk in pre-historical times and said "there's this new mail
> service you might want to sign up for"... Like I said, 40 years is enough.

Vincenzo D'Amore

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick,

It's been a pleasure and an honor! I know nothing about squirrels or
tomatoes (except that the latter are tasty) but I do know about
hobbies so I wish you all the best with them!

If you indeed want to be a welder, I am sure that you'll become a good
one and probably end up teaching a few folks about it as well :-)

Keep us folks in mind and drop us an update from time-to-time. I
suggest twitter - it's not new but you might want to sign up for it ;)

Take care and have fun!

Cheers,
Shalin

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Old programmers do fade away

Posted by Günter Hipler <gu...@bluewin.ch>.
Hi Erick

Posted by ufuk yılmaz <uy...@vivaldi.net.INVALID>.
I can only wish to be as productive as you 35 years from now, you have been an inspiration to me even though I only know you through your answers to hard questions here and presentations on youtube 😊

Hope you will enjoy your free time even more from now, and find a way to protect those tomatoes from pesky thiefs.

Regards

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Posted by Michael Sokolov <ms...@gmail.com>.
Woah! That plan sounds like fun! I might have to join you, but not yet
:) On the topic of squirrels, you must have seen this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg, but I share it again
because it always deserves a second watch. Also, my own personal
attempt at squirrel-proofing didn't go so well:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/i2Dken7DS89s1eBw8

and of course thank you for all the contributions, dedication, and
great community spirit - we'll miss you, Erick!

-Mike

Re: Old programmers do NOT fade away

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Hey Erick

you should've been PMC with the immense amount of work you put into this project
i would be happy to pickup some of the potential slack maybe the bad-apple-report ?
BUT MY SCHEDULE CAN BE RANDOMLY FILLED WITH
playing with grandkids
Helping out eldest daughter..(something about father knows best especially when it comes to home remodeling)
Taking mandatory breaks for shoveling snow or cleaning out plugged toilet (c***py mandatory manual landlord tasks)
i just bought a multi-family in nutley near orange so i am hoping (once this silly covid mess is over and done with) we could possibly meet for a coffee on sloan street?
I have hired trusty relative to be my site-manager but next time I come down to visit the property i'll give you a nudge
I'll admit to being a few years older than yourself but if a 78 year old guy can become president then maybe there is hope for us old-timers!

For your squirrel problem...Ring has a nice motion-detect camera advertised here
Ring Floodlight Camera Motion-Activated HD Security Cam Two-Way Talk and Siren Alarm (amazon.com)<https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Floodlight-Camera-Motion-Activated-Security/dp/B0727XJQLD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Motion+Detector+Camera&qid=1609358506&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyOUdNSkw4MDNGTVgwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTU2ODAwMkdCU1o2TjAyR1ZZUiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDE0NDI2TkozTzg0SjZOSjNNJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==>
i think its ok to shoot a squirrel but if the homeless are stealing tomatoes.. the homeless here are out-of-work-attornies that are itching to sue somebody

l8r
Marty Gainty
________________________________

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org>.
It has been a privilege to watch you work your magic and reference the
great work that you have done in this project. Thank you for setting the
bar for us.

I am happy to support the BadApples report if you would like

Posted by Christian Moen <cm...@atilika.com>.
Take care, Erick.  Thanks for all your contributions. Lots of people will
miss you.  I wish you all the best.

Posted by Ilan Ginzburg <il...@gmail.com>.
Hey Eric,

Sad and happy to read your message. You've been a clear voice in the Lucene
Solr community and I was always AMAZED how willing you are to help and
explain, over and over again when needed.
That's the sad part.

The happy part is that those squirrels do need to learn and the electric
fence at the top does sound reasonable. Hope tomatoes don't care too much
about lack of freedom.

Really appreciated interacting with you in my short time here. Have fun!

Ilan

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Erick,

I kept hoping to meet again at a future conference and have an
extended version of the talk we had the first time we met. It was very
valuable but I felt I only got a glimpse of what was possible.
Perhaps, one day, I can travel near your actual "nest" and buy you a
beer or two and listen to the true war stories at the search coalface.

Until then, I wish you luck with the furry rats. We have some in our
backyard, but since we haven't - yet - started growing things, I view
them with amusement rather than anger. But, next summer, I will
probably follow your steps too. I wonder if Tesla coils are more DIY
then the laser-guided heat rays. Though heat rays on lower settings
could be quite nice in Montreal winter, I am sure.

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. Good old days! When one had to tell the disassembler that the
hack Xonix and Arkanoid levels!
P.p.s. If you need any listening material while you garden, I suspect
you will enjoy the hardware/software discussions podcast: "On the
metal" https://oxide.computer/podcast/