Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2011/07/14 16:20:40 UTC

Re: TextMarker

  Hi all,

I got right now the OK of our legal department, after exactly 7
months... don't ask ;-)

We would of course still like to contribute the system to Apache UIMA,
if the development team is interested.

It's maybe prudent to incrementally contribute the different parts of
the TextMarker system, e.g., starting with the rule engine after I
reimplemented it in August. Afterwards, if there is interest in the
Eclipse IDE, then I'd switch to DLTK 2.0 or 3.0 before contributing it.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts and opinions.

Best regards,

Peter

Am 03.01.2011 16:00, schrieb Peter Klügl:
> [...]
>>> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/textmarker/) and there is some
>>> documentation in the project wiki
>>> (http://tmwiki.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/).
>>>
>>> I think it's a good start for that discussion, if I summarize the
>>> current status of the system. TextMarker is an Eclipse-based tool
>>> implemented in pure Java that can among other things be used to
>>> prototype analysis engines or develop complex handcrafted text
>>> processing applications. It consists of four major parts:
>>>
>>> Language:
>>> The rule or rather script language can be compared to regular
>>> expressions over annotation with additional conditions and actions.
>>> There are currently 28 different conditions and 34 actions. They range
>>> from a test on a feature value to a test, if the matched annotation is
>>> contained in another annotation of a given type, respectively from
>>> creating an annotation to applying an external dictionary or analysis
>>> engine. A TextMarker script can import type systems or define new types
>>> or variables. Then, there are also some more complex control structures
>>> for procedure calls, conditioned statements or recursion. The
>>> TextMarker
>>> language (and inference) is in active usage in some productive
>>> applications here, but it lacks of test cases. However, we are
>>> currently
>>> writing uimaFIT based component test to improve the quality management.
>>>
>>> Workbench:
>>> The Eclipse-based tool for developing the TextMarker scripts is
>>> currently based on DLTK 1.0 (http://www.eclipse.org/dltk/) and it's
>>> editor supports syntax highlighting, syntax checks, context-sensitive
>>> auto-completion, formatting, mark occurrences, open declaration and
>>> some
>>> other useful stuff commonly known in IDEs. For each script file, a type
>>> system and an executable analysis engine is created. Therefore, it's
>>> quite simple and efficient to create an analysis engine with a few
>>> lines
>>> of TextMarker rules. The workbench supports testing on annotated xmiCas
>>> while writing new rules and provides some minimal debugging
>>> functionality that explains why and on what text a rule was executed.
>>>
>>> CEV:
>>> This plugin can be used to edit or visualize xmiCAS and is also able to
>>> render HTML. It is heavily used by the testing and explanation
>>> components.
>>>
>>> TextRuler:
>>> This framework for rule learning is rather a playground and mainly
>>> implemented by students. There are currently more or less working
>>> implementations of LP2, WHISK, WIEN, RAPIER and an own algorithm, and
>>> three other algorithms are being implemented.
>>>

>>> Overall, the system is working stable for a year now, but lacks in code
>>> quality, documentation and test cases. Basically, we are also
>>> willing to
>>> change the name of the system, if someone can think of a better one.

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
+1 to accept TextMarker into the sandbox :-) -Marshall

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Peter can you please start a vote here?

Thanks,
Jörn

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
  All three, that is the ICLA, the CCLA and the software grant.

I just wanted to mention that the code quality isn't as good as for
example the CAS Editor, but I'll change that.

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 7/19/11 2:56 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>  I'am just creating a "new feature" issue. Is that correct?
Yes, that is fine.

Jörn

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
  Hi,

all documents are signed and sent.

The return mail says:

"If you have been voted in as a committer, please advise the project PMC
that your ICLA has been filed."

Another thing:

"textmarker" is an eponym for a (highlighter) brand in germany and
textmarker is therefore of course a protected term for the product. I
felt quite safe since the TextMarker system is just a small academic
project and (as far as I know) it's not so problematic to use a term in
a different domain in germany. But I have no clue if there might be any
problem in future or because of some other legislation.

Besides that, there are also two other projects I know of called
textmarker, e.g., a firefox plugin.

Re: TextMarker

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: TextMarker