Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/06/06 02:14:48 UTC

RE: Requests, or Tokens, or Tickets, or Prepared Lookups?

At 09:56 AM 6/5/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>  > Due to this we get into discussions such as
> > * Component/Service Manager should do pooling (erk!!!!)
>
>The Container needs to take care of that.  Many containers do perform
>pooling (anybody ever here of EJBs, Servlets, DataSources, etc.?).
>We need to make the mechanism invisible to the user though.

Orthogonal concepts. Pooling, activation, passivation etc are all
orthogonal concepts to resource access. You can still do these all the time
without compromising resource access.

Consider JNDI - massively slow in most implementations. However that has
not limited scalability wrt to EJBs or servlets. In fact it has actually
encouraged scalability as the components that need efficient access to
underlying resources (DataSource for JDBC connections or Connector
architecture for other resource connections) all work fine.

> > * Component/Service Manager should be more efficient (double erk!!!!)
>
>It really does.  Even if it is more efficient to *use* or develop
>against.

Your right - I will be more than happy to remove release() method anytime
now - that will save a whole bunch of people misusing CMs and then getting
concerned that CMs don't match their use case.

Seriously - go out into other frameworks and try to identify one which
mixes directory service with resource management. There isn't any software
systems that do this that I know off. So why do you think you know better
than the rest of these peeps? :)

RE: Requests, or Tokens, or Tickets, or Prepared Lookups?

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@osm.net]

> >> It really does.  Even if it is more efficient to *use* or develop
> >> against.
> >

> > Your right - I will be more than happy to remove release() method
> > anytime now - that will save a whole bunch of people misusing CMs
and
> > then getting concerned that CMs don't match their use case.
>

> +1

-1 : Removes too much functionality for not enough gain. If people are
misusing CM, too bad. Even without a release() method you'll have
them do so.

/LS

Re: Requests, or Tokens, or Tickets, or Prepared Lookups?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL