Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by MS dehghan <ms...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/05 08:15:25 UTC

Direct cluster upgrade from HBase 1.4 to 2.3

Hello

We are using HBase 1.4.12 in our cluster and recently we are planning to
upgrade it to 2.3.x.
I would like to know if direct upgrade from 1.4 to 2.3 is possible and
safe. Actually I couldn't find anything about this in the docs. According
to the docs upgrade from 1.4 to 2.1 is tested but  direct upgrading to
higher versions is not mentioned.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me further information and share
their experiences about upgrading from 1.4 to 2.x .

Best Regards.

Re: Direct cluster upgrade from HBase 1.4 to 2.3

Posted by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org>.
In the doc section [1], it is clearly written that rolling upgrades are
experimental for HBase 1 to 2 upgrades.
However, based on rolling upgrade done in the past from 1.4 to 2.1
specifically, the steps are given because it has been tested already.

The reason why doc is not updated for 1.4 to 2.3 upgrade is because no one
has done it so far and without doing it in production scale, we can’t be
confident to write about this.
Once you start this exercise and if able to perform this upgrade
successfully in prod, you can take up ownership to update the doc for 1.4
to 2.3 with your experience and that would be a great help for the
community. I can guide on how to update the doc if required.

Thank you, please keep us posted on any bugs encountered while testing
(creating Jira would be nice)

1.
https://hbase.apache.org/book.html#upgrade2.0.rolling.upgrades

Posted by MS dehghan <ms...@gmail.com>.
ُThank you very much for your response.

We will try this workflow and I will report back any issues encountered. What about the docs? Shouldn't it be updated to contain info about upgrading to higher versions?

Posted by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org>.
Hi,