Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/25 22:08:19 UTC

IndieGogo campaign: a month of Apache Tapestry 5

Hi!

I've just went live with an IndieGogo campaign so I can work a whole month
in Tapestry itself and nothing else fixing bugs, implementing new stuff
and working on the documentation.

Here's the link:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-month-of-apache-tapestry-5.

Any questions, just ask. :) But I'll answer another one right now:
regardless of the campaign succeeding or not, I'll continue posting stuff
in the mailing list and doing my occasional code contributions the same
way and I've been doing until now. In other words, nothing changes.

Here's the campaign text, just in case, with all the details:

Introduction

Disclaimers: This campaign is done by me, Thiago, as an independent
individual, not by the Apache Software Foundation or the Apache Tapestry
project. I'm not representing the Foundation in any way in this campaign
nor Apache endorses it. The Foundation has a policy of not paying for
development work. All its members are voluntary, me included. Any code
I'll write or change will pass the usual Tapestry team approval process.
If this campaign isn't funded, I'll continue participating in the Tapestry
project in the same way as always.

  I'm Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo, an Apache Tapestry 5 committer and PMC
(Project Management Committee) member. I've posted more than 5700 times in
the user mailing lists. Apache Tapestry is an open-source, Java Web
framework built and supported by a team of voluntary members who work on
it for free and by love.

  I dream about the idea of being able to work on Apache Tapestry itself,
on its codebase and documentation, not just in my free time. I'm very
passionate about this framework. I envy the people who are paid to work on
open source projects, so they can spend lots of time in the projects they
love. I wish I could do the same, even if it was for a short period of
time. I love open source, I love Apache Tapestry, I love to help people to
solve their problems, know the framework better and code happier. That's
what this campaign is about.

  Right now, I'm in a period between gigs, so I have a free schedule to
work on it, and then I have an opportunity. But this free time cannot be
free, because I, as you and everyone else, have bills to pay. So I thought
it would be a perfect time to run a fixed-funding IndieGogo campaign to
have me working exclusively on the Apache Tapestry codebase for a whole
month, 160 hours on the clock, fixing some stuff, build other stuff and
hopefully speeding up the 5.4 release. I'd work on the documentation too.

  Notice that, in terms of dollar per worked hour, it is signicantly lower
than at my last gig. This campaign isn't about money, is about being able
to work in what I love.
What will be done?

  The actual issues to be worked will be discussed among the backers, but
I've took a long look at the Apache Tapestry issue tracker (JIRA),
starting for the most voted issues, checked which ones I could
successfully fix or implement, then I came up with the following initial
(not final) list. The order in which the issues will be tackled will also
be discussed among the backers.

Issue
Description

TAP5-2029
Copy annotations from service implementation to proxy

TAP5-2235
Implement JCache (JSR 107) support in Tapestry-IoC

TAP5-938
Expose ability to render a portion of a page (a Block, Component, etc.)
without using internal services

TAP5-244
Let Grid show column headings when no data

TAP5-1515
Support for external assets

TAP5-1470
Group CSS together to avoid IE's restriction of 31 external css files

TAP5-245
Better documentation on development environment.

TAP5-627
Allow injection of named spring beans

TAP5-1403
Add support for Arrays in request parameters

TAP5-1863
Rendering components in Alerts

TAP5-1659
PageLink: page parameter should accept page-classes and page-instances

TAP5-1941
Alerts component should check for XHR request in "dismiss" event handler

TAP5-1718
Tapestry-beanvalidator isn't validating nested DTO objects / Doesn't mark
the invalid fields in the UI

TAP5-2130
Services interfaces that inherit from "Runnable" cause @Startup methods
being called twice

TAP5-2192
Add support for distributed documentation

TAP5-2187
CSS relative URL rewriting isn't lenient enough

TAP5-2185
Problem with the asset checksums and relative paths based on them

TAP5-1998
DateField does not validate dates properly (Tapestry DateField converts
invalid dates to valid ones)

TAP5-2168
Asset Not Found messages are prompting to put assets into wrong location

TAP5-1611
out-of-the-box way in Tapestry for replacing components

Perks

  All perks include the addition of your name and URL in a thank-you page
in my personal blog (http://machina.com.br).
$20: a thank you
  Did you ever asked something in the Tapestry mailing list and got a good
answer for me? Did you ever searched the Internet for Tapestry questions
and found the solution in a post of mine? This is a way of saying "thank
you".
$50: a bigger thank you
  If I ever posted something that prevented you of wasting hours on a
problem in your project using Apache Tapestry, you can give a bigger
"thank you".
$100: one hour of support
  You get one hour of support through Google Hangout or Skype. Any code I
write during this period belongs to you.
$180: two hours of support
  You get two hours of support through Google Hangout or Skype. Any code I
write during this period belongs to you.
$700: eight hours of support
  You get eight hours of support through Google Hangout or Skype. Any code
I write during this period belongs to you.
$500: you in my e-mail signature
  You choose a line to be added in my e-mail signature when I post in the
Tapestry mailing lists. It'll stay there for one month. I average almost
11 posts per week. In case more than one backer picks this perk, it'll be
first come, first served. Check with me at thiagohp at gmail dot com
before picking this perk.

Why back this campaign?

A way of saying "thank you" for my efforts for the Tapestry project
Influence what I'm going to do next (but not the Apache Project itself)
Having your pet issue taken care more quickly
  Having your or your company name and URL in a thank you page in my
personal blog at http://machina.com.br. Larger contributions will come
first and in a larger font size.
  There are a perks which give you one hour or more hours of support
through Google Hangout or Skype.
  There's another perk which allows you to add a line of your choice in my
personal e-mail signature for a given period of time.

Risks

  I've made an estimate of the above tasks and I do think I can finish them
all in the 160 hours of work for this campaign. Of course, things can turn
out to be more complex and time-consuming than I estimated, but, no matter
what, if this campaign is funded, I'll spend 160 hours working on the
Tapestry codebase and documentation, not including the time I already
spend in the mailing lists.

  Another risk would be me getting a good job offer before I finish the 160
hours. This can delay my work, but I'll guarantee that, having this
campaign reach its goal, I'll spend 160 hours working on the Tapestry
codebase and documentation, not including the time I already spend in the
mailing lists.
What if the campaign is not funded?

  In this case, nothing changes, everything goes as if the campaign never
happened. I'll continue participating on the Apache Tapestry in my free
time in the exact same way I've been doing in the last 6 years: lots of
messages on the mailing lists and some code contributions.
Deadline

  My initial plan is to work the 160 hours in the 30 days after the
confirmation of the funding. Even if the initial plan falls apart due to
an eventual outstanding job offer, my ultimate deadline will be 7 months
after I get the confirmation this campaign if funded. This deadline was
calculated considering I'd work 40 hours per week in the eventual job I'd
get and 5.7 hours per week on Tapestry.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: IndieGogo campaign: a month of Apache Tapestry 5

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 18:38:28 -0200, Emmanuel Sowah <es...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Thiago,

Hi, Emmanuel!

> Tapestry is dead. By dead I don't mean no one is using it but rather no
> one is using it on serious projects.

You're backpedaling in your statements. Negative troll points for you.

> That is why I strongly urge you to quit Tapestry and do something that
> can bring enough money to pay the bills. Even Howard is now coding Wicket
> because he couldn't find any client that wants to adopt Tapestry.

Stating "facts" you cannot back up with evidence. More negative troll
points for you.

> I must say I sympathise with you for not being able to make ends meet
> coding Tapestry. The answer is simple, do what your master does-

Hey, as I said before, my master is my wife :D, who is a nutritionist and
a wonderful cook, but I won't do what she does because I have no nutrition
knowledge and suck at cooking. :(

> CODE WICKET!

Good trolls are subtle. More negative troll points for you.

If you really sympathise with me, and I don't think you do, why don't you
make a nice contribution to my IndieGogo campaign? ;) You'd feel better by
doing what you'd think is charity and I'd get some more money. Win-win
situation! :D

My last words for you: I prefer to be a committer in a
niche-but-incredibly-awesome framework than an awful,
really-bad-at-trolling troll as you.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br
Help me spend a whole month working on Tapestry bug fixes and
improvements: http://igg.me/at/t5month

Re: IndieGogo campaign: a month of Apache Tapestry 5

Posted by Emmanuel Sowah <es...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thiago,

How are you today?

I know being a Tapestry coder is not easy to make enough money to pay the
bills and I can understand why you're struggling. The fact of the matter is
that Tapestry is not used by serious companies or in serious projects.
Tapestry is dead. By dead I don't mean no one is using it but rather no one
is using it on serious projects.

That is why I strongly urge you to quit Tapestry and do something that can
bring enough money to pay the bills. Even Howard is now coding Wicket
because he couldn't find any client that wants to adopt Tapestry.

I have good news for you. I talked to some clients in your area in Brazil
who are willing to take you on Wicket projects. I told them you're not a
Wicket guy but they still want you because Tapestry is quite close to
Wicket when it comes to concepts and ideologies. Drop me a line if you're
interested and I'll hook you up.

I must say I sympathise with you for not being able to make ends meet
coding Tapestry. The answer is simple, do what your master does- CODE
WICKET!

Cheers

Posted by Balázs Palcsó <pa...@gmail.com>.
I think the same invoice that issue when you do freelancer work should do.
Not sure if there special rules if the company receiving the invoice is in
the EU.

Though I am not sure how does crowd funding changes the rules of invoicing.
Especially if the goal is not met.

Regards,
Balazs

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Balázs Palcsó <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thiago,

I was wondering if my company could get an invoice of the amount
contributed if it contributes?

Best regards,
Balazs
On Nov 27, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <
> thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 13:53:09 -0200, Norman Franke <no...@myasd.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I hope it works out.
>>>

>> Thanks!
>>

>> Anything you can add to help porting from prototype-based Tapestry JS
>>> code to T5.4 would be welcome. I've got thousands of lines of JS code
in my
>>> apps.
>>>

>> Your Prototype.js code will still work in T5.4.
>

> Caveat: unless it depends on the Tapestry or T5 namespaces, unfortunately.

Indeed, and a decent amount does. I'd also rather not include two huge JS
libraries. Granted, that's more of an aesthetic issue for me. Plenty of web
sites I've come across use Prototype and jQuery and some others.

On the other hand, I'm glad Tapestry had moved away from prototype. It was
great in the day, but jQuery has a much richer set of plugins, so I'd
prefer to use it for new work.

Norman

Re: IndieGogo campaign: a month of Apache Tapestry 5

Posted by Norman Franke <no...@myasd.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 13:53:09 -0200, Norman Franke <no...@myasd.com>
> wrote:
>
>  I hope it works out.
>>

> Thanks!
>

>  Anything you can add to help porting from prototype-based Tapestry JS
>> code to T5.4 would be welcome. I've got thousands of lines of JS code in my
>> apps.
>>

> Your Prototype.js code will still work in T5.4.

Caveat: unless it depends on the Tapestry or T5 namespaces, unfortunately.

> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> http://machina.com.br
> Help me spend a whole month working on Tapestry bug fixes and
> improvements: http://igg.me/at/t5month

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: IndieGogo campaign: a month of Apache Tapestry 5

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Hvass <P....@albourne.com>.
Taking a direction on client-side templating and data binding perhaps? AngularJS integration is something
we were thinking about edging towards in-house; sure it's on other people's minds too!

This is a great direction to take Thiago! I'm sure it'll benefit the project immensely!

Peter

I hope it works out. Anything you can add to help porting from prototype-based Tapestry JS code to T5.4 would be welcome. I've got thousands of lines of JS code in my apps.

Good luck!

Norman Franke
Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
www.myasd.com

Posted by Norman Franke <no...@myasd.com>.

Posted by John Prestel <jp...@safaribooksonline.com>.
Congratulations, Thiago!

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM, Jens Breitenstein <ma...@j-b-s.de>wrote:

> done!
>

> Am 09.12.13 23:53, schrieb Chris Mylonas:
>
>  $3880 / $4500
>>
>> $620 to go
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Joachim Van der Auwera <lists@progs.be
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Great initiative, twelve hours and 740$ to go. Let's make it happen!
>>>
>>> May I remind you that Thiago will not receive any money (donations are
>>> refunded) when the target is not met, so if you want Thiago to spend a
>>> month full-time on Tapestry, then now is the time to do your part and
>>> contribute to the campaign.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Joachim
>>>

>>> On 12/09/2013 09:07 PM, Muhammad Gelbana wrote:
>>>
>>>  I'm so happy you're approaching your goal ! Gonna see a more powerful

*John Prestel*
Software Engineer
Safari Books Online, LLC | http://www.safaribooksonline.com
33 Farnsworth Street
Boston, MA 02210
617.235.5806

*Please update your address book with my new address*:
jprestel@safaribooksonline.com

Re: IndieGogo campaign: a month of Apache Tapestry 5

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 19:05:19 -0200, Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So did this campaign succeed ?

I don't know. Did it? :D

Posted by Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joachim Van der Auwera <li...@progs.be>.
Congratulations!

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
I'm really happy to see this happen!

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:40 AM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <
thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:43:16 -0200, Jens Breitenstein <
> mailinglist@j-b-s.de> wrote:
>
>  done!
>>

> Hi, everyone!
>
> I'm speechless. I'm lost for words. I really don't know how to describe
> how happy and grateful to all of you for allowing me to spend a whole month
> working on Apache Tapestry, something I'm so passionate about. Thank you!
> And I'll thank you even more by working very hard to make Tapestry even
> better.
>
> I'll blog my whole progress at http://machina.com.br (which is built on
> Tapestry, of course!) and I hope you participate by commenting and
> providing feedback. I'll probably start next week.
>
> Cheers! And thank you again! :D
>

> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> http://machina.com.br

Massimo Lusetti

Re: IndieGogo campaign: a month of Apache Tapestry 5

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jens Breitenstein <ma...@j-b-s.de>.
done!

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.
$3880 / $4500

Posted by Joachim Van der Auwera <li...@progs.be>.

Posted by Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.
The ML hustle is strong with Mr T.
The support option is really cool (and I'm interested) - particularly with
5.4 coming out soon[1]

I hope you make your target and we all benefit.

Cheers
Chris

[1] Surprisingly in nautical terms, soon doesn't mean soon enough!!
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/guide/glossary.html

Posted by Alexander Sommer <al...@gmail.com>.
great.

Posted by Andreas Fink <fi...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Thiago.

Posted by Bogdan Ivascu <iv...@gmail.com>.
Following Igor's book, slightly better documentation for the java script
side coming in T5.4 will be a good start.

Thanks,
Bogdan.

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
That was pretty funny I have to admit. You should start working on some new material though.

Posted by Jon Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
Ok Emmanuel,

I think u've made your point. U don't like Tapestry or Mr 'Ship. Those
parts are understood. You don't have to keep repeating yourself for our
benefit. We're all grown ups here. We can live and die by our own hands
without your help. Thanks for sharing your opinion, there may have been
some tiny marginal merit to it 1st time *cough*. But enough is enough.
You're like a broken record. Stop hating your life away you troll.

Posted by Emmanuel Sowah <es...@gmail.com>.
Dude,

Posted by Stephan Windmüller <st...@tu-dortmund.de>.
On 25.11.2013 22:08, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo wrote:

> I've just went live with an IndieGogo campaign so I can work a whole
> month in Tapestry itself and nothing else fixing bugs, implementing new
> stuff and working on the documentation.

Well done Thiago, now IndieGogo is broken, most likely because everyone
wants to participate in your campaign. ;)

And it is already too late to be the first supporter...

Will try again tomorrow.

- Stephan