Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2007/05/09 16:03:43 UTC

[Fwd: Request for Comments - Pnuts as Incubator Project?!]

As Yoav Shapira pointed out this is the right place to go ...  :-)

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Aaaron,

the community question is also my biggest concern and there is actually
an easy and a difficult part about it.

I don't see many committers on the pnuts core project because very few
people are able to design/implement a programming language properly.
Having said this I don't want to see many people working on the pnuts
core otherwise it will desintegrate into a feature heap. And this
conflict is a really bad one .... :-(

On the other side an extension mechanism exists called pnuts modules. In
this area I see the opportunity that many people are contributing since
those things are easy to write and extend.

Regarding "sanctioned JVM language" - can't blame me or pnuts about it -
if it happens to be the first that's fine for me.

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Having said that itt is much easier

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Hello Siegfried!

--
  J Aaron Farr     jadetower.com        [US] +1 724-964-4515
    馮傑仁          cubiclemuses.com     [HK] +852 8123-7905

Re: [Fwd: Request for Comments - Pnuts as Incubator Project?!]

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
That might be a problem to really generate interest. Apache first and
foremost generates interest amongst developers who want to contribute
the project, so I think you need to have an interesting list of things
that need contribution.

I have one tho - is anyone thinking of adding native XML support to
pnuts (aka E4X or REXML)?

Paul

On 5/11/07, Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> IMO opinion the core language is pretty much stable - supports
> compilation to Java classes, JSR-223 (Java 6.0) runs with security
> manager and JWS, has good documentation, provides system for extension
> modules ...
>
> I see improvements for the optional pnuts modules, e.g. the optional
> modules I used where not feature complete but this is expected.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Siegfried Gooeschl
>

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > I don't know enough about the pnuts community to know if it will make
> > a good incubation project, but thanks for bringing it to my attention
> > - looks like a neat language! And if it does come here I'll certainly
> > join the discussions.
> >
> > One question I have is how much of pnuts is done and how much is still
> > to do? That's always an interesting aspect for a incubator project.
> >
> > Paul

> >> move
> >>
> >> I couldn't care less, but if there are genuine interest from Apache
> >> folks, I'll support the idea of putting it into incubation.
> >>

> >> Cheers
> >> Niclas

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Fwd: Request for Comments - Pnuts as Incubator Project?!]

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.