Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Stephen Powis <sp...@salesforce.com> on 2016/01/08 08:39:16 UTC

Upgraded from 0.8.2 to 0.9.0 and FetchFollower request time has increased

Hey!

So I upgraded our production kafka cluster from 0.8.2 to 0.9.0 this
morning, and it seems like everything went smoothly.

As the last step when I changed the inter.broker.protocol.version to
0.9.0.0 and did a rolling restart, I noticed that the FetchFollower request
times increased fairly significantly.  Does anyone know if this is expected
with the new protocol version?

Link to graphite graph: http://i.imgur.com/uhvjCBH.png

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid and it will settle out?  This is the same
graph over a larger time period - http://i.imgur.com/FB5Ey2a.png

Thanks!

Re: Upgraded from 0.8.2 to 0.9.0 and FetchFollower request time has increased

Posted by Stephen Powis <sp...@salesforce.com>.
Hmm over the weekend looks like this slowly crept back up as shown in this
graph: http://i.imgur.com/DH9Qa09.png  I performed the upgrade on 1/8
around 12am as shown by the spike in the graph.  Here's a graph with a
little more history going back ~1 month.  This was pretty stable prior to
the upgrade.  http://i.imgur.com/95Gw0MS.png
It looks like its entirely "RemoteTime" - http://i.imgur.com/Uamy42q.png

Any ideas of what I should check?  I have num.replica.fetchers set to 8
currently.

Thanks!

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@gmail.com>.
Great!