Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by James Estes <ja...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/20 19:23:59 UTC

Replication Codec

I'm running HBase 0.98 and looking into replication. Looking at the Codecs
(those that include tags), I see KeyValueCodecWithTags
and CellCodecWithTags. Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

Thanks,
James

Re: Replication Codec

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi

We are trying to introduce the concept of cells every where in the code
base where we try to treat the components of a KeyValue like row, family,
qualifiers, ts and value as backed by individual byte[].  (logically).

But the KeyvalueCodec assumes the KeyValue serialization format to be
applied, which means there is one byte[] backing that particular KeyValue's
individual components.

In case of 0.98 though a KeyValue is a Cell we tend to go with the legacy
Keyvalue serialization through out the read path. In particular, the
replication path as it deals with WALs the serialization pattern followed
is same as KeyValue.  Hence it is preferred that you go with
KeyValueCodecWithTags only.

Regards
Ram