Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Siegfried Göschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2003/03/14 20:19:12 UTC

UBERJAR Plugin for Maven B8 and Performance

Hi folks,

I had a look at the UBERJAR plugin to drop the javaapp plugin and I
really like the design of  UBERJAR.

But it is too slow - my JAR is about 11.5 MByte and starting it takes
now 150 seconds instead of 3 seconds. After loading all the classes
there is still a performance degration of the factor 5 - my tests
runs now in 19.5 sec instead of 3.8 seconds.

Is there a chance to improve the performance of an UBERJAR
application dramatically?!

Thanks in advance,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: UBERJAR Plugin for Maven B8 and Performance

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 12:31, Pete Kazmier wrote:

> bob> Jason van Zyl and James Taylor have been doing performance
> bob> optimizations on the uberjar, but I don't think it's all be
> bob> hooked up into the uberjar plugin.  We need to do some more
> bob> testing and push new classworlds jars to the repo, I think.
>
> I've been eagerly awaiting the new optimizations jason and jt have
> been doing so I can bump up the version of the classworlds dep in the
> uberjar plugin.  In my own repo, I've been using a beta version of the
> classworlds with jt's patches and startup is much quicker.

I think the only route we could go, short of rewriting the entire
URLClassLoader, is to provide a tool in Maven that indexes the JAR prior
to use. We could make ClassWorlds aware of this index: A small table
with offsets to the class bytes so they can be loaded quickly to avoid
having to index the JAR before use which isn't a workable solution. I
tried it with Maven and it choked. I just find it unbelievable that the
Sun folks never considered this use case. Why am I not surprised :-)

> -Pete

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: UBERJAR Plugin for Maven B8 and Performance

Posted by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com>.

Posted by bob mcwhirter <bo...@werken.com>.
> Is there a chance to improve the performance of an UBERJAR
> application dramatically?!

Jason van Zyl and James Taylor have been doing performance
optimizations on the uberjar, but I don't think it's all be
hooked up into the uberjar plugin.  We need to do some more
testing and push new classworlds jars to the repo, I think.

	-bob