Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Bastian Breithaupt <ba...@web.de> on 2004/02/07 10:37:55 UTC

JDO Query Performance

Hello!

I have a table with some 6000 rows and I have to make a query to select some 20 rows. I have read this thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ojb-user@db.apache.org/msg00626.html
from the ojb-user list, which says, that first all rows of a tabel are read into memory (in my understanding...)

In fact, my query takes quite a while to be finished (3-5 secs); this is my code:

manager = factory.getPersistenceManager();
manager.currentTransaction().begin();
Extent extent = manager.getExtent( Class.forName( myClass ) , true);
query = manager.newQuery( extent , filter );
result = (Collection)query.execute();
manager.currentTransaction().commit();

Any hints on how to build a fatser query with ojb and jdo?

Thanks a lot for your help

Bastian

Re: JDO Query Performance

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@olin.edu>.

> SO all you can do for the moment is to wait for our own full JDO
> implementation that will not have such limitations.

So when does this start? Will it use the current JDO related classes or
rewrite them? I might be interested in pitching in, a bit when it does
if I can find a small chunk or two to work on. (I probably can't do a
whole lot of work, but it would be fun to help to some extent).

-Gus

Re: JDO Query Performance

Posted by Thomas Mahler <th...@web.de>.
Hi Bastian,

Your understanding of that other message is correct.
As the JDORI plugin mechanism does not provide any abstraction of
performing selections.
This is a deficit of SUN's JDORI and not of OJB!
The bad news is that there is no way to get around this problem.

SO all you can do for the moment is to wait for our own full JDO
implementation that will not have such limitations.

cheers,
thomas