Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com> on 2021/08/04 21:32:26 UTC

Re: JEP 411 - end of Apache River?

FWIW, I don't see any reason to think that JEP-411 means the end of River.
My reason for saying that is two-fold:

1. My use cases for River are mostly in the context of a trusted
environment where one entity controls all the code end to end and the
SecurityManager stuff isn't all that important.

2. I am not convinced that we can't implement a sufficient level of
security at the application level anyway, without needing a SecurityManager
mechanism built into the JVM.  It might mean something that's a lot
different from the way River works today, but as a relative new-comer, I
don't feel particularly bound by "the way it's always been done" to begin
with. But to be fair, I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about the
subject either (mainly because of (1) above).

Phil