Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Satya Narayan Dash <nd...@rediffmail.com> on 2004/03/03 13:33:03 UTC

A newbie question

Hi,

I do not which jar is used for which purpose in XML?

xalan.jar --> ?
crimson.jar --> ?
jaxp.jar --> ?
xerces.jar --> ?

Also, there are some other jars like (xercesImpl.jar). I am aware of the DOM and SAX models. But do not know why so many jars are there and when to use which one??

Can you please let me know,
Thanks,
Satya.

Re: A newbie question

Posted by Christian Dickert <Ch...@gmx.de>.
Hi Satya,

Satya wrote:
> I do not which jar is used for which purpose in XML?

First of all, maybe you should think of distributions, not single JAR files.
Most Apache distributions contain quite a lot of jars, which may not all be
needed for compilation of your project, but usually most of them will be
needed at runtime. So be sure to download complete distributions and read their
instructions carefully. And don't forget to have a look at the included
examples. Last but not least, be very careful when stripping a distribution and
always include license files of used distributions with your application.

> crimson.jar --> ?

Well, the most basic component you will ever need in your XML-enabled
application is an XML parser, which is responsible for all the XML processing and
implementing the APIs (DOM, SAX etc.).
"Crimson" is a Java-based implementation of an XML parser that is quite
powerful und relatively lightweight. It is based on the Sun Project X parser.
The Crimson project has been hibernated in favor of Xerces 2, which is the
most up-to-date Apache XML parser.

> xerces.jar --> ?

"Xerces 2" is one of the most advanced XML parsers out there, and its
probably your best choice when creating an XML-enabled Java application. The first
Xerces parser originated from IBM's XML4J parser. On the downside, its not
really lightweight.

> jaxp.jar --> ?

Sun's Java API for XML processing is simply an API that separates basic XML
processing calls from any specific parser implementation. So, if you ever
plan to switch parsers in your application, be sure to use JAXP calls instead of
parser-specific calls. Most modern Java-based XML parsers, including Crimson
and Xerces, support JAXP.

> xalan.jar --> ?

"Xalan 2" is one of the most powerful XSL-T processors out there. So if you
plan to do Stylesheet transformations in your Java application, Xalan is
probably your best choice. Way back, this one has been known as LotusXSL and was
donated to the Apache XML project by IBM.

> Also, there are some other jars like (xercesImpl.jar).
> I am aware of the DOM and SAX models.
> But do not know why so many jars are there and when to use which one??
> Can you please let me know,

As I mentioned above, most packages use quite a lot of JAR files. Your
application might compile with just the interfaces contained in xerces.jar, but at
runtime, you will need the Xerces implementation contained in
xercesImpl.jar. You need to mount most of them, if not all, in the correct order. Refer to
any available instructions or examples for that or post on one of the mailing
lists if you have a specific question.

Hope I could help you out on this one,
Christian.