Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Foo JH <jh...@extracktor.com> on 2007/05/30 04:53:48 UTC

[users@httpd] Is Win32 Apache ready for prime time?

Hello all,

I've been using Apache 2.2 for Win32 (with modperl) for some time. But
one thing bugs me quite often. That is: once in a while (quite
randomly), Apache will produce the following error:

[Mon Mar 05 21:19:47 2007] [notice] Parent: child process exited with
status 3221225477 -- Restarting.

At first I thought it was an issue with modperl, until I was told that
this happens also with the Win32 Apache 2.2 + PHP 5 combo. So now I'm
starting to worry that it may be to do with the MPM implementation of
Apache on Win32.

I don't mind Apache faulting and recovering automatically, but it scares
the heck out of the client when they see an windows box popping out
every now and then reporting the fault with Apache.

Can anyone confirm this? Is there any workaround to it?

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] Is Win32 Apache ready for prime time?

Posted by Sam Lavitt <sa...@lavitt.net>.
Foo JH wrote:

>> I'm running it with both PHP5 and mod_perl, without any problems, and
>> I am using the binary (no recompile here, no M$ visual studio)
>
> A success story! Perhaps you can share with me your setup process:
> 1. Are you installing from WAMP, or via direct binary download from
> Apache?
> 2. Are you using the MSI install from ActiveState + modperl 2 via the
> theoryx5 ppd for Apache 2.2?
> 3. Any other steps you took (special httpd.conf?) will be helpful
>
> To paint the picture correctly: I have no issues running modperl +
> Apache2.2 + Windows XP running 99% of the time. It's that 1% that
> panics the clients.
>
> Thanks.

Direct DL from apache, then using PHP5 (I was lazy and instead of
compiling the module myself, I downloaded from Apache Lounge).  I didn't
use ActiveState, etc. as I already had Perl on my box from working with
it for school, so I got mod_perl and installed it, nothing really
complex was needed, beyond sorting out a real nightmare of "which
php.ini is the real php.ini" (after the PHP5 install I had three of them
in use, one in c:\php\php5, one in c:\windows, one in c:\windows\system32)

I had some trouble with the MySQLi php module, for some reason it
wouldn't ever work right, but when I used the plain MySQL one, I had no
trouble.  MySQL was installed from the latest community build available
at that time (about a year ago) and was an uneventful install.

Re: [users@httpd] Is Win32 Apache ready for prime time?

Posted by Foo JH <jh...@extracktor.com>.

Posted by Sam Lavitt <sa...@lavitt.net>.
Foo JH wrote:

> Hey Sam,
>
> Just to check: are you running Apache 2.2 only from the binary, w/o
> any PHP/ modperl addons?
>
>> Ummm, actually Win32 Apache 2.2 is *VERY* stable, my current server
>> is running on an XP home box (so shoot me) and has been up over six
>> months!  I have never seen anything such as that exit status, perhaps
>> you should try to chase that down?

I'm running it with both PHP5 and mod_perl, without any problems, and I
am using the binary (no recompile here, no M$ visual studio)

[users@httpd] How to read Environment variables set in httpd.conf file?

Posted by ra...@wipro.com.
Hi All,

Pardon me if this is a silly question.But i have started using apache just now.I have set an environmental variable in httpd.conf in httpd.conf using SetEnv.
I want to read this variable in a program.I understoo that we cannot read using request_rec structure.Is there any apache api to read environmental variable set in httpd.conf?

Thanks & regards,
Ramakrishna

Re: [users@httpd] Is Win32 Apache ready for prime time?

Posted by Jaqui Greenlees <ja...@yahoo.ca>.
--- morgan gangwere <0....@gmail.com> wrote:

Morgan,

~snip~

> I have seen this with the mySQL connectivity in PHP
> - but its usually
> caused by NOT closing the connection to the MySQL
> server after you're done.

This is what I was referring to in my persistent
connections comment, but it can happen no matter what
database engine is being used.

> Remember, be a gentleman and close all your MySQL
> connections when
> you're done!

Exactly, the scripts are actually the cause of most
web exploits and server performance issues, not
configuration issues as a lot of people posting to
this list seem to think.

All this is actually better discussed off list, or on
a list focussed on the scripting / db best practices
rather than here. :)

Jaqui

Jeff Henager: "If the average user can put a CD in and boot the system and follow the prompts, he can install and use Linux. If he can't do that simple task, he doesn't need to be around technology."

Website: http://jaqui-greenlees.net

Re: [users@httpd] Is Win32 Apache ready for prime time?

Posted by morgan gangwere <0....@gmail.com>.

Jaqui Greenlees wrote:
> --- "Mark A. Craig" <mark.a.craig@gmail NOSPAMPPLS com> wrote:
>
>> I'm running Apache 2.2.4 with PHP 5 to enable my
>> blog, and it's been
>> very stable since I installed it in April.  The only
>> beef I have is its
>> tendency to keep slowly sucking RAM as the days roll
>> by, so I've been
>> resorting to restarting it on occasion to keep the
>> usage low.  I don't
>> know if it's a memory leak or just normal behavior
>> for my situation and
>> config, and I confess I haven't investigated it in
>> any depth yet.
>
> AFAIK, this isn't that uncommon, with windows itself.
> You may need to adjust the memory management settings
> for windows to resolve this. I know a number of people
> who have the memory hog effect slowing their windows
> systems down even without having a server on the
> system, so even if apache didn't have very good memory
> management it could still be windows.
>
> The other issue is the php scripts, they might be
> using keep-alive connections, which the sql server
> backend could then be sucking resources causing the
> slow response times. With enough resources eaten up,
> no oftware will be completely stable, so whatever is
> actually eating the resources is the cause of your odd
> errors.
>
> Jaqui

i have also seen this with uploading files bigger than what apache is
allowed to have. I have MemManager (it proxies mallocs) and it lets
apache have 32 megs of memory.
I have seen this with the mySQL connectivity in PHP - but its usually
caused by NOT closing the connection to the MySQL server after you're done.

Remember, be a gentleman and close all your MySQL connections when
you're done!

- --
Just a Thought
Morgan Gangwere

For those who want my PGP key:
http://pengunassasin.kicks-ass.org/pgpKey.html

******* Wisdom for the day *******
* Dont rawquote - it gives       *
*          spammers free bait!   *
**********************************

Re: [users@httpd] Is Win32 Apache ready for prime time?

Posted by Jaqui Greenlees <ja...@yahoo.ca>.

Posted by "Mark A. Craig" <ma...@gmail.com>.
I'm running Apache 2.2.4 with PHP 5 to enable my blog, and it's been
very stable since I installed it in April.  The only beef I have is its
tendency to keep slowly sucking RAM as the days roll by, so I've been
resorting to restarting it on occasion to keep the usage low.  I don't
know if it's a memory leak or just normal behavior for my situation and
config, and I confess I haven't investigated it in any depth yet.  None
of what you described, in any case.

Mark

Posted by morgan gangwere <0....@gmail.com>.

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Jess Holle wrote:
>> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>>> Note that 2.2.4 fixed a *number* of bugs (and introduced one into Win2000,
>>> the flaw of resolving all clients as 0.0.0.0 - disable win32 acceptex to
>>> work around that one).  2.2.5 will be substantially improved over 2.2.4,
>>> as well.
>>>
>> That's nice to hear.
>>
>> When will 2.2.5 see the light of day, though?
>
> Given interesting news that hit the light of day, early next week, most
> likely.  Depends on how long it takes someone to hack the pid table for
> the parent processes out of the scoreboard and into the parent process's
> local hash.
[snip]

heres my side:
Foo JH Said:
> Hello morgan,
>
>> Ya Know, i have an apache WAMP5 box runnin on xp home too! and other
>> than net downtime and power outages, its been up ~3mo!
>>
>> i will agree that the win32 version of apache is *godly* stable - im
>> running somwthing like 2.2.3 win32 - a nice stable version.
>
> Yes I am enjoying Apache on Win32 too. But my question to be specific is:
> 1. Apache will automatically recover when it faults (in my case), so you
>may not notice the problem. Can you check your error log if you are experiencing the same error message as well?

in my case, XAMPP (the ApacheFriends dist.) fails completely because of
the FTP daemon, but otherwise is fine.

Apache Win32 when installed as a windows service works well, and I have
only seen it fail in _very_ limited situations (ie 30000000000 requests
for "admin.htt" - an IIS page) but it came back and was running nice and
fine with about 1 minute of downtime (how long it took for the machine
to restart the service!)

I got one error that came close to it - it was related to memory in my
case, apache doing a malloc to big for my 32 megs of memory avail to it
(caused by mod_php - uploading a 45 mb file!)

could it have been the perl script running pushing a file over the system?

> 2. Since you are on WAMP (P = PHP?) Are you running PHP scripts intensively?

Wamp is a port of the LAMP server idea to Windows - i'm running the
latest (only really works with apache 2.2.3 because of a special
mod_wampadmin addon)

in my case, the WAMP part is really this:
Apache 2.2.3 with some extras to handle talking to the control daemon
using a special device (a named pipe really)
PHP 2
MySQL 5
Windows XP Home build #2600
PEAR (for PHP/Perl/Apache comms apparently - im not sure)

as long as theres no security problems with the stale version, im fine
with it.

Hope that helps

- --

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Jess Holle wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> morgan gangwere wrote:
>>
>>> i will agree that the win32 version of apache is *godly* stable - im
>>> running somwthing like 2.2.3 win32 - a nice stable version.
>>>
>> Note that 2.2.4 fixed a *number* of bugs (and introduced one into Win2000,
>> the flaw of resolving all clients as 0.0.0.0 - disable win32 acceptex to
>> work around that one).  2.2.5 will be substantially improved over 2.2.4,
>> as well.
>>
> That's nice to hear.
>
> When will 2.2.5 see the light of day, though?

Given interesting news that hit the light of day, early next week, most
likely.  Depends on how long it takes someone to hack the pid table for
the parent processes out of the scoreboard and into the parent process's
local hash.  I have a laundry list of other issues in front of me, and
my clients aren't silly enough to run untrusted code - so I'm not likely
to be 'that author'.

apr rolled in a day or two at most, httpd this weekend as apr and that
fix are authored, so that puts us out to a release early-mid next week.
At least that's what I'm hoping happens.

This 'vulnerability' on bugtraq only affects machines which run untrusted
php/modperl scripts or modules, etc, and I'm pretty certain php has more
restrictive mode for sanity that is immune to this vector.

Bill

Re: [users@httpd] Is Win32 Apache ready for prime time?

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com>.
Regarding Apache 2.2 on Windows, does anyone know how can I set it for waiting more when trying to start or stop it?

If I do
net stop apache2.2

It tries to stop for a long time, then it gives the error that it can't be stopped.
But it continues to try stopping, and in the meantime I cannot start it again.

Then, sometimes I try to start it with
net start apache2.2

It tries to start, but it gives an error telling that it cannot start. However, it continues to try starting, and finally it really starts.

I am using a Catalyst application with mod_perl.

Thank you.

Octavian

Re: [users@httpd] Is Win32 Apache ready for prime time?

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
morgan gangwere wrote:
> i will agree that the win32 version of apache is *godly* stable - im
> running somwthing like 2.2.3 win32 - a nice stable version.

Note that 2.2.4 fixed a *number* of bugs (and introduced one into Win2000,
the flaw of resolving all clients as 0.0.0.0 - disable win32 acceptex to
work around that one).  2.2.5 will be substantially improved over 2.2.4,
as well.

> and the best part is: its damn fast.

:)

Re: [users@httpd] Is Win32 Apache ready for prime time?