Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2007/06/28 14:36:19 UTC

how to pop up a window requested by server

We have a JSF application running on JBoss/Tomcat, and have a requirement for users to send short instant messages. When user A sees user B online and wants to talk with him/her:

  1. A clicks a button, pop up a window to chat with B
  2. On B's machine, pop up a chat window.

  How to implement the second? We think about using Applet,  are there other ways ?
  Thanks for any idea on how to implement this for JSF application.

  Dave

---------------------------------
Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

RE: how to pop up a window requested by server

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Dave [mailto:javaone9@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: how to pop up a window requested by server
>
> Is there a way for server to push something to client?

Only if the client is listening for it.  Your applet could establish a
listen on some agreed upon port, and the servlet could open a connection
to that port when needed.  Error recovery and releasing resources can
get messy on the server end.  (E.g., you probably need a separate thread
spawned in the servlet to send the notification to the client, and you
have to remember to make that thread terminate if the webapp shuts
down.)

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: how to pop up a window requested by server

Posted by "Asensio, Rodrigo" <ro...@gilbarco.com>.
A very simple solution to implement a 'push' concept with your UI 100% html/ajax is having a hidden applet to use as client and send messages to the current page or another hidden iframe who refresh the main chat program. Is what Charles is saying but with the UI done in html

Regards
Rodrigo Asensio
www.rodrigoasensio.com

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.

Posted by Dave <ja...@yahoo.com>.

---------------------------------

Re: how to pop up a window requested by server

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
If you use Ajax4Jsf, you can use a4j:poll to have a part of your page
refreshed every x milliseconds using javascript. In this part you could
put your code to popup something on B if there are new messages.
En l'instant précis du 28/06/07 14:36, Dave s'exprimait en ces termes:

Re: AW: JSF URL

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> Why show JSF not the current URL in the browser ?????
> In old Struts-Apps I never had this problem.

it's a postback. the request is submitted back to your page

/faces/ctx/form.xhtml

contains your form and check the rendered action it goes to exactly this page
(postback)

in struts your page "form.jsp" contains a form and the rendered action is
"doit.do" (or what ever)

That's why.
There is somewhere a wiki for this issue/bookmark problem as well

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

RE: [Trinidad] How To Add Custom Component Resources Other Than Script

Posted by William Hoover <wh...@nemours.org>.
Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
Please :)

Posted by William Hoover <wh...@nemours.org>.
Should we open a Jira issue?

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by William Hoover <wh...@nemours.org>.

...I have similar code for the "FedJSP.service" call in "org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.pages.GenericEntry", but when calling the resource url http://foo/ <http://foo/__MYRESOURCEv__.jsf> __MYRESOURCEv__.jsf I get a 404 (the same as what I get for dialogs w/*.jsf). Am I missing something?

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by William Hoover <wh...@nemours.org>.

Re: AW: JSF URL

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.
JSF posts back to the current page for validation and updating. JSF
doesn't know what the next page is because the navigation handler has
not been run, and the application is not sure that the user's input is
valid. After the navigation rule is run, a new view is created and
rendered. As a result, the user is still seeing the page that was
posted to, so as a result the URL is always one behind.

If you use navigation rules with redirects, once the navigation rule
is run, the new URL is sent to the browser and thus the URL is always
of the current page. The disadvantage is more trips to the server.

So with redirects, you should have the current URL in the browser. If
you don't, then the redirect is not occurring and you will have to
check your setup to see why.

On 6/28/07, robert.reiz@mvv.de <ro...@mvv.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if I use <redirect /> JSF change my URI. Is there another possibility to
> show the current URL in the browser and to use faces-navigation?
>
> Why show JSF not the current URL in the browser ?????
> In old Struts-Apps I never had this problem.
>

> Robert Reiz
> (24/7-IT-Services)
>

>  ________________________________

AW: AW: JSF URL

Posted by ro...@mvv.de.
Hi,

if I use <redirect /> JSF change my URI. Is there another possibility to

show the current URL in the browser and to use faces-navigation?

Why show JSF not the current URL in the browser ?????
In old Struts-Apps I never had this problem.

Robert Reiz
(24/7-IT-Services)

________________________________

Hi, try do not use the navigation faces in faces-config.xml, use a URL
like a href attribute i an <a> tag.

robert.reiz@mvv.de escreveu:

	Hi,

	I have try it, but no effects.