Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Greg Zoller <gr...@codaware.com> on 2003/03/19 01:56:25 UTC

"Blueprints" for Ant Templates?

Hello...

My team has started a project using Ant as the build tool.  One thing we've
noticed is that there aren't "blueprints" of best-practices for build
environments
specific to major classes of applications.  (We would certainly love to
contribute
some if we knew any!)

I believe it would be very useful to have canned build templates to help
large-scale
projects get off on the right foot and not waste a lot of time setting
up build
environments.  For example, my new project is a large EJP/JSP app with some
plain Java objects and perhaps a servlet or two, to be hosted on
JBoss.   I'm
sure those basic requirements are shared by others.  We're currently
struggling
to design a directory/build structure that works for such a project.  It
has been
quite frustrating designing appropriate directory structures, including some
level of sophistication to use regexps during the build to set up the
metadata
like web.xml and application.xml to name two.  We're getting closer, but
the result is pretty unwieldy.  There's a better way out there somewhere.

How great would it be if there was already a best-practices blueprint of
an Ant
templates (downloadable on apache.com of course :-)) for a similar class of
system that we could at least start from and modify, thereby avoiding
mistakes
and wasted time?  We could download the template, see where to put EJB
code,
see where JSPs go, set up a property file with some local environment
parameters
and be good to go.

My humble input to an invaluable utility.  Kudos to the developers,
maintainers,
and contributors.

Greg Zoller
CTO, Codaware, Inc.