Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by arian487 <ak...@tagged.com> on 2011/08/17 01:09:13 UTC

Problems generating war distribution using ant

So the way I generate war files now is by running an 'ant dist' in the solr
folder.  It generates the war fine and I get a build success, and then I
deploy it to tomcat and once again the logs show it was successful (from the
looks of it).  However, when I go to 'myip:8080/solr/admin' I get an HTTP
status 404.

However, it works when I take a war from the nightly build, expand it, drop
some new class files in there that I need, and close it up again.  The solr
I have checked out seems fine though and I can't find any differences
between the war I'm generating and the one that has been generated.

Re: Problems generating war distribution using ant

Posted by arian487 <ak...@tagged.com>.
Stupid me.  The output file was named something else.  I really need to make
a proper servlet mapping.  Works now :D

Re: Problems generating war distribution using ant

Posted by arian487 <ak...@tagged.com>.
Interesting.  I can use this as an option and create a custom 'war' target if
need be but I'd like to avoid this.  I'd rather do a full build from the
source code I have checked out from the SVN.  Any reason why 'ant dist'
doesn't produce a good war file?

Re: Problems generating war distribution using ant

Posted by Sujit Pal <su...@comcast.net>.
FWIW, we have some custom classes on top of solr as well. The way we do
it is using the following ant target:

  <target name="war" depends="jar" description="Rebuild Solr WAR with
custom code">
    <mkdir dir="${maven.webapps.output}"/>
    <!-- we unwar a copy of the 3.2.0 war file in source repo -->
    <unwar src="${prod.common.lib.external.solr}/apache-solr-3.2.0.war"
dest="${maven.webapps.output}"/>
    <!-- add in some extra jar files our custom stuff needs -->
    <copy todir="${maven.webapps.output}/WEB-INF/lib">
      <fileset refid="..."/>
      <fileset refid="..."/>
    </copy>
    <!-- the jar target builds just our custom classes into a
hl-solr.jar, which is copied over to the WEB-INF/lib of the
exploded solr war -->
    <copy file="${maven.build.directory}/hl-solr.jar"
todir="${maven.webapps.output}/WEB-INF/lib"/>
    </war>

Seems to work fine...basically automates what you have described in your
second paragraph, but allows us to keep our own code separately from
solr code under source control.

-sujit