Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Micha Lenk <mi...@lenk.info> on 2018/04/23 16:12:48 UTC

Re: Start using RCs

Hi Jim,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 08:54:09AM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> We have a history, as well as a published "agreement" on what minor
> version numbering means.

Just to make sure I am on the same page, would you mind to make that
explicit? Where is that published?

> Our module eco-system is huge and we need to factor/consider not only
> the big players, but also the solitary developers who have modules. It
> is a long, long history and if/when we need to reconsider versioning,
> the impact will not be insignificant.
>
> [...]
> Again, it is all in balance, and likely we've just not achieved that
> lately due to the extreme complexities of the eco-system around,
> internal, external and dependent upon us.

But isn't the very purpose of the major.minor construct (that renders
all modules incompatible on a minor version bump) to get a handle on the
"extreme complexity" of the eco-system? If so, is the major.minor
construct used correctly to get the most out of it?

Regards,
Micha

Re: Start using RCs

Posted by Micha Lenk <mi...@lenk.info>.
On 04/23/2018 07:24 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/VERSIONING
>
> Contains a much more verbose... non-semver versioning scheme.

Interesting. Did you realize this already covers the recently suggested
use of release candidates? Even on the 2.4.x branch...

Regards,
Micha

Re: Start using RCs

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.