Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2002/10/15 03:51:41 UTC

Re: Events

Daniel Krieg wrote:
> What is the standard approach to implementing Events alla Avalon.  I come from a Beans background and am used to Swing-style Listener/Event implementations.  Is this approach acceptable within containers like Phoenix or it the Excalibur Event packages the way to go?

<ot>The use of line breaks would be welcome</ot>

It depends entirely on what you are trying to do.  The Event package provides
a framework for a SEDA like infrastructure where components are stitched together
using event queues.  It helps increase scalability while minimizing complexity
in event based programming.  In other words, it forces a minimal structure to
that type of computing.

In the Event package is a CommandManager, where you can execute commands
asynchronously using a small amount of threads in the background tasks.
It is useful for management functions and all.

As far as how to best help you, I would need some more information on what
problem you are trying to solve.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Events

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Daniel Krieg wrote:
> Berin,
> Thanks for your response.
>

>>It depends entirely on what you are trying to do.  The Event package
>
> provides
>
>>a framework for a SEDA like infrastructure where components are stitched
>
> together
>
>>using event queues.  It helps increase scalability while minimizing
>
> complexity
>
>>in event based programming.  In other words, it forces a minimal structure

>>that type of computing.
>>
>>In the Event package is a CommandManager, where you can execute commands
>>asynchronously using a small amount of threads in the background tasks.
>>It is useful for management functions and all.
>>
>>As far as how to best help you, I would need some more information on what
>>problem you are trying to solve.
>
> Well, I am working on the Catalina Sevak App for Phoenix and am attempting
> extract a set of Service interfaces from Catalina's (Tomcat) codebase.
> Catalina
> uses Swing-style event notification within its implementation.  The question
> I need to
> address is whether I should expose the add<EventListener>( ) methods within
> the
> Service interface or not.  I am not inclined to place them there as this
> tends to be
> implementation specific.
>
> Thoughts?

I agree.  All the event listeners should be within the GUI portion, and
then the objects that listen to the events use the components.

Re: Events

Posted by Daniel Krieg <dk...@kc.rr.com>.
Berin,
Thanks for your response.

> It depends entirely on what you are trying to do.  The Event package
provides
> a framework for a SEDA like infrastructure where components are stitched
together
> using event queues.  It helps increase scalability while minimizing
complexity
> in event based programming.  In other words, it forces a minimal structure
> that type of computing.
>
> In the Event package is a CommandManager, where you can execute commands
> asynchronously using a small amount of threads in the background tasks.
> It is useful for management functions and all.
>
> As far as how to best help you, I would need some more information on what
> problem you are trying to solve.
Well, I am working on the Catalina Sevak App for Phoenix and am attempting
extract a set of Service interfaces from Catalina's (Tomcat) codebase.
Catalina
uses Swing-style event notification within its implementation.  The question
I need to
address is whether I should expose the add<EventListener>( ) methods within
the
Service interface or not.  I am not inclined to place them there as this
tends to be
implementation specific.

Thoughts?

Daniel Krieg