Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/09/21 16:36:06 UTC

Re: Centrally specified interfaces for Phoenix services

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001 01:07, Paul Hammant wrote:
> 1) Central definition of interfaces (and exceptions)
>
>     Pros : Simple solution
>     Cons : Not version tolerant, though could have heretical version
> numbers in package or class names (ref LayoutManager2).  Only good for
> regular server concepts (HTTPServer) as opposed to bespoke concepts
> (company X's ABC Server)
>
> 2) Promotion of interfaces (and exceptions).  SAR file contains a jar of
> interfaces that it implements, it could hand it to the parent component
> (Phoenix) and Phoenix could make them available seperately, not
> necessarily at promordial level.  It's an RMI type concept, but RMI is
> overkill for several reasons, not least of which is the ill-defined
> RemoteException.
>
>    Pros : Can tolerate different versions.  Good for standards based
> services as well as bespoke ones.
>    Cons : Difficult to implement
>
> Thoughts?

I like (1)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Centrally specified interfaces for Phoenix services

Posted by Eung-ju Park <co...@apache.org>.
> Proposal : We move org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.* to
> org.apache.avalon.pheonix.services.*

-1.
Phoenix does not provide services. Phoenix just manage services.

Re: Centrally specified interfaces for Phoenix services

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter ,

>Cornerstone pushes to phoenix during install? So basically cornerstone will
>export all .sars into
>
>${install.dir}/apps
>
>and any service interface jars into
>
>${install.dir}/lib
>
>Like?

Will do.

- PH

Re: Centrally specified interfaces for Phoenix services

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 17:11, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:12, Paul Hammant wrote:
> > Peter
> >
> > >$ cp cornerstone-services.jar $PHOENIX_HOME/lib
> >
> > Can I go ahead an effect the changes in Cornerstone and Phoenix
> > (include, exclude, copy)?
> >
> > Any objections?
>
> Go for it re: cornerstone but what needs to be changed in phoenix
> build-process ?

Also the new cornerstone-services.jar can replace cornerstone-compilation.jar
aswell ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Centrally specified interfaces for Phoenix services

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.

>$ cp cornerstone-services.jar $PHOENIX_HOME/lib

In the phoenix build script?

+1

:-)

-PH

Re: Centrally specified interfaces for Phoenix services

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:30, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Peter,
>
> >>Proposal : We move org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.* to
> >>org.apache.avalon.pheonix.services.*
> >
> >I am not sure I like that. The Phoenix project is for the Application
> >Server/Kernel code. These services are not directly tied to kernel and we
> >could through them away and all would be fine and dandy in Phoenix land.
> > So I say we keep them where they are for the time being.
>
> OK then, can we think up a mechanism for an subset of cornerstone
> (service interfaces & exceptions) to be visible at some root level in a
> running phoenix machine?  You are ruling out distribution, my other
> option leaned towards runtime publication.....  I think I am losing you
> re the need....

How about something as simple as

$ cp cornerstone-services.jar $PHOENIX_HOME/lib

?

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Centrally specified interfaces for Phoenix services

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>>Proposal : We move org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.* to
>>org.apache.avalon.pheonix.services.*
>>

>I am not sure I like that. The Phoenix project is for the Application
>Server/Kernel code. These services are not directly tied to kernel and we
>could through them away and all would be fine and dandy in Phoenix land. So I
>say we keep them where they are for the time being.

OK then, can we think up a mechanism for an subset of cornerstone
(service interfaces & exceptions) to be visible at some root level in a
running phoenix machine?  You are ruling out distribution, my other
option leaned towards runtime publication.....  I think I am losing you
re the need....

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: Centrally specified interfaces for Phoenix services

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>>1) Central definition of interfaces (and exceptions)
>>
>>    Pros : Simple solution
>>    Cons : Not version tolerant, though could have heretical version
>>numbers in package or class names (ref LayoutManager2).  Only good for
>>regular server concepts (HTTPServer) as opposed to bespoke concepts
>>(company X's ABC Server)
>>
>>2) Promotion of interfaces (and exceptions).  SAR file contains a jar of
>>interfaces that it implements, it could hand it to the parent component
>>(Phoenix) and Phoenix could make them available seperately, not
>>necessarily at promordial level.  It's an RMI type concept, but RMI is
>>overkill for several reasons, not least of which is the ill-defined
>>RemoteException.
>>
>>   Pros : Can tolerate different versions.  Good for standards based
>>services as well as bespoke ones.
>>   Cons : Difficult to implement
>>
>>Thoughts?
>>

>I like (1)

OK, that's cool.  Often simple is best.

Proposal : We move org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.* to
org.apache.avalon.pheonix.services.*

This will pave the way for a central & default implementation of a
particular service.  Assemblers can still choose to have a particular
impl bundled in their SAR file, but can (in the future) use a default
block impl for the service.

As we introduce other blocks for really large server components, we can
introduce services that express the features of those in a general way.
 I'm thinking multiple implementations of HTTP and EJB server all being
interchangable given the same interfaces.  As Peter says we should mark
some of the interfaces as "in progress" in some way.

Regards,

- Paul H