Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/03 08:21:40 UTC

Spark 1.1 Window and 1.0 Wrap-up

Hey All,

I wanted to announce the the Spark 1.1 release window:
June 1 - Merge window opens
July 25 - Cut-off for new pull requests
August 1 - Merge window closes (code freeze), QA period starts
August 15+ - RC's and voting

This is consistent with the "3 month" release cycle we are targeting.
I'd really encourage people submitting larger features to do so during
the month of June, as features submitted closer to the window closing
could end up getting pushed into the next release.

I wanted to reflect a bit as well on the 1.0 release. First, thanks to
everyone who was involved in this release. It was the largest release
ever and it's something we should all be proud of.

In the 1.0 release, we cleaned up and consolidated several parts of the
Spark code base. In particular, we  consolidated the previously
fragmented process of submitting Spark jobs across a wide variety of
environments {YARN/Mesos/Standalone, Windows/Unix, Python/Java/Scala}.
We also brought the three language API's into much closer alignment.
These were difficult (but critical) tasks towards having a stable
deployment environment on which higher level libraries can build.

These cross-cutting changes also had associated test burden resulting
in an extended QA period. The 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, family of releases are
intended to be smaller releases, and I'd like to deliver them with
very predictable timing to the community. This will mean being fairly
strict about freezes and investing in QA infrastructure to allow us to
get through voting more quickly.

With 1.0 shipped, now is a great time to catch up on code reviews and look at
outstanding patches. Despite the large queue, we've actually been
consistently merging/closing about 80% of proposed PR's, which
is definitely good (for instance, we have 170 outstanding out of 950
proposed), but there remain a lot of people waiting on reviews, and
it's something everyone can help with!

Thanks again to everyone involved. Looking forward to more great releases!

- Patrick

Re: Spark 1.1 Window and 1.0 Wrap-up

Posted by Bhaskar Dutta <bh...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I wanted to announce the the Spark 1.1 release window:
> June 1 - Merge window opens
> July 25 - Cut-off for new pull requests
> August 1 - Merge window closes (code freeze), QA period starts
> August 15+ - RC's and voting

Hi,

Do you have a plan for 1.0.1 as well?

Thanks,