Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Daryl Stultz <da...@opentempo.com> on 2018/04/17 15:38:06 UTC

Proper hot deploy technique

Hello,

We have a dev environment where we regularly deploy and undeploy applications while Tomcat is running. We are on Tomcat 8.5. We stage the application in a temporary directory, we are not using war files. We then deploy with a call to the manager app like this:

http://tomcat:PASSWORD@localhost:8080/manager/text/deploy?path=/myapp&war=file:/temp/myapp

Somehow Tomcat is failing to take in all the files. The set of files do not appear to be related but the all-important classes and web.xml files are missing, so the application does not start.

We've decided to change our process a bit by turning on auto deploy and moving the temporary directory into the webapps directory. That seems to be working but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this problem and what we might be doing wrong.

Thanks.

--

Daryl Stultz
Principal Software Developer

Re: Proper hot deploy technique

Posted by Daryl Stultz <da...@opentempo.com>.

I can't repeat this problem. If you can find a way to recreate it with a
clean Tomcat install, I'd be happy to look at it further.

Thanks for looking at it, Mark. The auto deploy technique seems to be working. We've burned a lot of time on this upgrade so I don't see us trying to solve the original technique.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/04/18 12:30, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 17/04/18 16:38, Daryl Stultz wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> We have a dev environment where we regularly deploy and undeploy applications while Tomcat is running. We are on Tomcat 8.5. We stage the application in a temporary directory, we are not using war files. We then deploy with a call to the manager app like this:
>>

>> http://tomcat:PASSWORD@localhost:8080/manager/text/deploy?path=/myapp&war=file:/temp/myapp
>>

>> Somehow Tomcat is failing to take in all the files. The set of files do not appear to be related but the all-important classes and web.xml files are missing, so the application does not start.
>>

>> We've decided to change our process a bit by turning on auto deploy and moving the temporary directory into the webapps directory. That seems to be working but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this problem and what we might be doing wrong.
>
> You look to be doing the right thing. We'll need to do some testing to
> see if we can figure out what is going wrong.
>
> Personally, I'd lean towards your new approach anyway. It is simpler (in
> my view) and does not depend on the Manager app being deployed.
>
> Looking at this is currently next on my TODO list. I'll report back with
> what I find.

I can't repeat this problem. If you can find a way to recreate it with a
clean Tomcat install, I'd be happy to look at it further.

Mark

Re: Proper hot deploy technique

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.