Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Angel Vera <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2007/12/05 13:51:37 UTC

Re: migration from blojsom

Hi Dave,

  I am not lost.. just caught with holiday approaching. Things have been quite busy at work and in the house..so I haven't had tiem to reply to your email.

    I did not test, but I did take a look at the code and I did notice a
couple of things. First, you use the name JRoller but this code
doesn't really have anything to do with JRoller.com, it's for Roller.
That's not a big deal.
  I will test over the holidays, I just need to prepare a computer for my testing, I don't want to test on my main server. I thought JRoller and Roller where the same thing.. I can change the name of the class and packages, no problem.

  I just tried checking out the code using eclipse, but I need a username. i tried using anonymous, but it wouldn't let me. Can I get a username to extract the code..? and should we talk about checkins as well?
    Second, I noticed some category names that look hard-coded, like
"Hobbies" and "Tech Talk" -- are those your categories or standard
ones from Blojsom?
  Those are my categories, the idea is to have people provide their own code.. so yes this is specific for people who understand java.

  There is just so many different version of blogs and so many different way you can get the them working (derby, oracle, Tomcat, GlassFish) that I thought providing one solution (ie: from blojsom using derby to roller using derby) is just too specific. So instead of providing one solution I created a framework that people can extend. You do bring in a good point, and I think that we can further expand the BlojsomMigrator to a more generic way for people who can use this one single migration scenario, but don't want to compile the code. We can probably build on creating other IMigratorReader in the future as well.

    Third, you did not include any copyright messages or license headers.
Would you like to release those code under the Apache license, just
like Roller itself? Would you like the code to be "Copyright 2007
Angel Vera"? I'll add the appropriate LICENSE and NOTICE files and
headers for that.
  Adding copyrights.. that didn't even cross my mind. yes. I have read and I agree to the terms of the Apache License and NOTICE. Please do add that to the files.

    Fourth and final, how generic is this code? How hard would it be to
support migrations from other blog servers with this code base?
  Very generic, that was the main purposes. Other JAVA programmer need to extend IMigrationReader and they are on their way to create a new Migrator. IMigrationReader is the class that understands how to read the other other blog servers(blojsom, pebble, etc), and creates the IEntry and IComment (extended) classes that can be inserted into Roller. The internal code will takes this IEntry and IComment and create the proper roller correponding entries and comments.

  Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
  Angel,

I added your Migrator code to the Roller Support project
(http://roller.dev.java.net), which is where we host plugins, add-ons
that are not included in the Apache Roller release.

I did some work to make the code build via a simple Ant script. I
setup a directory structure for it and added a build script which
packages it for distribution. Please check it out and make sure it
still works for you.

1) Checkout the code for Roller Support project
See the instructions here for checking out the code for the Roller
support project
https://roller.dev.java.net/source/browse/roller/

2) Change dirs to the migrator directory
cd roller_support/tools/migrator

3) Build the migrator
ant build

4) Test it out. First, cd to dist/migrator edit the migrator script
and roller-custom.properties file and run.

I did not test, but I did take a look at the code and I did notice a
couple of things. First, you use the name JRoller but this code
doesn't really have anything to do with JRoller.com, it's for Roller.
That's not a big deal.

Second, I noticed some category names that look hard-coded, like
"Hobbies" and "Tech Talk" -- are those your categories or standard
ones from Blojsom?

Third, you did not include any copyright messages or license headers.
Would you like to release those code under the Apache license, just
like Roller itself? Would you like the code to be "Copyright 2007
Angel Vera"? I'll add the appropriate LICENSE and NOTICE files and
headers for that.

Fourth and final, how generic is this code? How hard would it be to
support migrations from other blog servers with this code base?

Once you check it out and we fix any problems I may have introduced,
I'll make the binaries available in the file download area of Roller
Support.

Thanks for the contribution!

- Dave

Re: migration from blojsom

Posted by Angel Vera <gu...@yahoo.com>.
My formating got lost.. so here is a new message with the proper formating..