Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Florian <jf...@kennedytech.com> on 2004/10/27 14:12:03 UTC

Revision Dates Really Inclusive?

The SVN book states, "You can also use a range of dates. Subversion will
find all revisions between both dates, inclusive", but I find that when
I perform 'svn -r {date1}:{date2} log' the first log entry is prior to
date1.  If I try for one particular hour out of a given day, I find much
the same behavior: one extra log entry at the beginning of the output --
this log entry is the one immediately prior to the hour requested.

How can I get true inclusive behavior?

--
John Florian
Kennedy Technologies

Re: Revision Dates Really Inclusive?

Posted by John Florian <jf...@kennedytech.com>.
Max Bowsher wrote:

> The problem is that svn interprets that as "the revision that was HEAD
> at midnight on date1" to "the revision that was HEAD at midnight on
> date2". Which is not a very intuitive interpretation. I think our date
> range matching needs redesigning.

That certainly explains the strange behavior I see.  I've already found
that being more specific by including time doesn't help.  I would much
rather see the date range matching redesigned than the book corrected.
I'm trying to use the log output for inclusion on customer account
service records and right now I must always compare prior records to
determine what has been billed and what has not when I should be able to
just rely on the date range.

I haven't look at the svn code at all, but understand much of it is in
Python.  If this date range logic is in Python code and this change
isn't major, I might be willing to tackle the patch if someone can point
me in the right direction.

--
John Florian

Re: Revision Dates Really Inclusive?

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
John Florian wrote:
> The SVN book states, "You can also use a range of dates. Subversion will
> find all revisions between both dates, inclusive", but I find that when
> I perform 'svn -r {date1}:{date2} log' the first log entry is prior to
> date1.  If I try for one particular hour out of a given day, I find much
> the same behavior: one extra log entry at the beginning of the output --
> this log entry is the one immediately prior to the hour requested.
>
> How can I get true inclusive behavior?

The problem is that svn interprets that as "the revision that was HEAD at
midnight on date1" to "the revision that was HEAD at midnight on date2".
Which is not a very intuitive interpretation. I think our date range
matching needs redesigning.

Max.