Posted to apachecon-discuss@apache.org by Niccolò Becchi <ni...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/19 10:39:38 UTC

Student discount is valid for a university researcher?

Hi,
student discount is valid for a full university researcher or a Ph.D.
student.
Thanks
Niccolò

Re: Student discount is valid for a university researcher?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Niccolò Becchi wrote:
> student discount is valid for a full university researcher or a Ph.D.
> student.

A full-time PHD student is OK to use the student discount, they have the
word "student" in their title so that's fine! Just bring along some
student ID which shows that you're studying for either an undergraduate
degree, a masters, a PHD or similar.

For someone who has completed their PHD, and are now a paid University
researcher, the student discount won't be available, sorry. You'd need to
ask your uni if they'll fund you, then book an early bird ticket. For next
time, TAC (Travel Assistance Committee) is available to assist with the
costs of registration / hotel / transport, and often helps with
accademics. You've missed your chance to apply for ACEU, but for ApacheCon
North America in Feb there's still time to apply.

Oh, and if you're involved in Apache OpenOffice, then talk to the PMC.
They have some additional money to help with the costs for people who are
involved in the project, but not eligable for any of the other discount
programs which exist (i.e. not a student, not a speaker and not a
committer)

Nick

Re: Student discount is valid for a university researcher?

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
On 19.09.2012 15:00, Nick Burch wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Ulrich Stärk wrote:
>> So how does this set the paid PhD student apart from $dev that is not being paid by his boss to go
>> to ApacheCon and wants to do so on his own time?
>
> The student rate is being largely funded by sponsorship from Google, and they want it targetted at
> students, so that's what we're doing
>
> We've also managed to secure some funding to reduce the price for committers, an announcement about
> that should be going out any day now. Speakers will also be able to get a free ticket if their
> employer isn't able to pay, we'll be notifying speakers of the details once the schedule is posted.
>
>> If we go down that route we consequently must give every person that is not being paid for going
>> to ApacheCon the student rebate.
>
> TAC exists to help people get to the conference who otherwise couldn't afford to. TAC covers your
> registration, hotel and flights, and so can generally ensure that money isn't an issue for people to
> attend. People have now missed the chance for TAC assistance for ApacheCon Europe, but I'd strongly
> encourage people to apply for ApacheCon North America if they're in a situation where they're not
> working / working but in a role that doesn't pay that much.
>
> If you'd like us to offer the student rate to everyone, please help us find a sponsor to cover it! :)

I don't, to the contrary. I'm arguing to limit this to students in the stricter sense.

Uli

Re: Student discount is valid for a university researcher?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
So how does this set the paid PhD student apart from $dev that is not being paid by his boss to go
to ApacheCon and wants to do so on his own time?

If we go down that route we consequently must give every person that is not being paid for going to
ApacheCon the student rebate. The price already is substantially lower than it used to be in order
to attract those whose attendance fees are not being paid for.

Btw, I don't see scholarships as a paid position as these tend - as you say - to be way below
average salary.

Uli

On 19.09.2012 12:26, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:
> Hi Niccolò et al.
>
> PhD students can also be financially weak especially if attending
> ApacheCon (even as a presenter) does not constitute one of the major
> conferences inline with your actual PhD. Before you know it such an
> event can set you back the best part of £1k... this is not uncommon
> from my own experiences. Additionally as ApacheCon is not an academic
> conference... but which clearly does aim to attract more students into
> the overall community it is unlikely student individuals will obtain
> substantial funding to attend.
>
> I firmly believe that full time PhD students should also be classed as
> full time students and therefore entitled to student rates for
> ApacheCon. Regardless of whether you are paid or not via a PhD funding
> route funding tends only to be enough to get by on and is
> significantly and wholly substantially below the average salary here
> in Scotland/UK.
>
> my 2 pennies
>
> Lewis
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org> wrote:
>> IIRC the site says "full time students". The rationale is to allow financially weak students to come
>> to the conference. IMO a paid university researcher doesn't qualify while an *unpaid* PhD student does.
>>
>> Not speaking on behalf of any official authority here, just my own opinion.
>>
>> Uli
>>
>> On 19.09.2012 10:39, Niccolò Becchi wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> student discount is valid for a full university researcher or a Ph.D.
>>> student.
>>> Thanks

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Niccolò et al.

--
Lewis

Re: Student discount is valid for a university researcher?

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org>.