Posted to users@felix.apache.org by pr...@emc.com on 2010/08/24 13:58:05 UTC

Compendium services implemented by Felix

Hi,

Is there a wiki/web page which lists out the OSGi compendium services
implemented in Apache Felix?

Thanks,

Prakash

Re: Compendium services implemented by Felix

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
  On 8/24/10 8:58, Steven Siebert wrote:
> Hi Prakash,
>
> The Felix core does not implement any compendium services (that I know of).
> There are several Apache Felix sub projects that do, however.  Check them
> out here (http://felix.apache.org/site/index.html) under "Apache Felix
> Subprojects".

To be more precise, there are only Felix subprojects. The Felix
Framework is just one of the many subprojects.

Steve is correct that some of the subprojects implement compendium
specs, but we do not have this information aggregated into a
list...perhaps we should. Subproject names are often similar to the spec
name.

-> richard

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
  On 8/24/10 9:09, prakash.achuthan@emc.com wrote:
> Thanks Steve.
>
> If I look at the subprojects I don't see much of the OSGi Compendium
> services listed there.
> For e.g., User Admin, Wire Admin, Meta Type service ...etc are listed at
> http://felix.apache.org/site/felix-r4-contributions.html
>
> But I don't see it in the subprojects page
> http://felix.apache.org/site/subprojects.html

Metatype is on the subprojects page. Check the trunk for the rest. Not
all subprojects have web pages. I'm not sure of the status of User Admin
and Wire Admin, although both are in trunk.

-> richard

Posted by Steven Siebert <sm...@gmail.com>.
Very nice.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
  The execution environment specification simply specifies what's
included in the EEs. A JRE may or may not meet these definitions. The
framework only checks to see if a bundle's required EE is met. The
framework doesn't do any verification that the underlying JRE meets the
EE...although, it technically could, I guess, but this is not spec
mandated behavior and I am not aware that any framework impls do this.

-> richard

Posted by pr...@emc.com.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Rodrigo Madera <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steven Siebert <sm...@gmail.com>.
Indeed.  As Richard said, perhaps an updated table would be more helpful.

I see the same issue of discoverability throughout the Apache projects as
well as outside in other Open Source communities (ie with the PAX folks
(which, btw, you should be able to use their compendium modules in Felix
without a problem)).  I even entertained the thought of writing a book that
simply categorizes and briefly introduces the various Apache projects to
better inform the community where to find what they need...perhaps I'll spin
that idea to various leads at ApacheCon(NA) coming up.

Good luck!

Steve

Posted by Steven Siebert <sm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Prakash,