Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Erik Weathers <ew...@groupon.com.INVALID> on 2016/02/03 02:23:52 UTC

are mesos package version names predictable?

I've noticed that in the published mesos packages [1] & docker images [2]
that the version name isn't simply:

   -  mesos_0.27.0.ubuntu1404_amd64

Instead it has the form of:

   - mesos_0.27.0*-0.2.190*.ubuntu1404_amd64

Here are a few more examples of this numeric suffix:

   - 0.27.0 -> 0.27.0-0.2.190
   - 0.26.0 -> 0.26.0-0.2.145
   - 0.25.0 -> 0.25.0-0.2.70
   - 0.24.1 -> 0.24.1-0.2.35
   - 0.24.0 -> 0.24.0-1.0.27

It is not clear to me what these suffixes represent, and it makes it hard
to write code that can download or install the mesos package for a
particular version given just the simple version name (e.g., 0.27.0).  I
tried searching for what might be generating this version suffix, or for
documentation of the release process for mesos, but I have failed.

So my question is really 2-fold:
(1) Where does this extra suffix come from?  Does it represent something
specific?  What is its purpose?   Why isn't the version simply the version?
 (I'm sure there *is* a reason, but I haven't found it on my own.)
(2) What is the "right" way to handle this seeming unpredictability?

Thanks!

- Erik

[2] https://hub.docker.com/r/mesosphere/mesos/tags/

Re: are mesos package version names predictable?

Posted by tommy xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
sure.

--
Deshi Xiao
Twitter: xds2000

Re: are mesos package version names predictable?

Posted by Erik Weathers <ew...@groupon.com.INVALID>.

Posted by tommy xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik Weathers <ew...@groupon.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Till, that is what I expected, and I appreciate the extra historical
insight.  Fingers crossed for future releases!  ;-)

Posted by Till Toenshoff <to...@me.com>.

Posted by Erik Weathers <ew...@groupon.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Shuai Lin <li...@gmail.com>.
+1 for removing the build number from the version number of
mesosphere-released deb/rpm pkgs.

Posted by Till Toenshoff <to...@me.com>.
Hey Erik,