Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/08/16 23:17:19 UTC

[lang] 1.2 vs 1.4 Was: [lang] Words - for 2.0

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> +1 to RC3
>
> BTW, is there a problem with building with 1.2.2 if our javadoc has been
> optimised for 1.4? The javadoc compiler has changed. Can the docs be built
> using 1.4 instead?

Ack. So we want a 1.2 built jar and a 1.4 built javadoc?

Maybe I should just go ahead and use 1.4 to distribute. While I could
merge a 1.4 and 1.2 set of builds, it wouldn't be something the user
could repeat with the -src jar.

Hen

Re: [lang] 1.2 vs 1.4 Was: [lang] Words - for 2.0

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Phil Steitz" <ph...@steitz.com> writes:

>Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>> Can we guarantee that the 1.4 built version is bytecode compatable with 1.2?
>> Its not nice whichever way around you do it.
>>
>> How about build under 1.4, then use the jar to run the test cases against
>> under 1.2?

>FWIW, I have done this both ways with current sources -- build w/ 1.4,
>run tests using 1.2 and vice versa.  Both work for me. I also ran
>1.4-compiled tests on 1.3 and that worked as well.  I did this earlier

Please try the 1.3.1 JDK from blackdown as e.g. daedalus.apache.org. I have
had problems with 1.4 built jars from ibiblio (e.g. excalibur-components)
with this JDK.

For Turbine, I've decided to make both JDK 1.3.1 and JDK 1.4.2 built
jars available.

	Regards
		Henning

"Dominate!! Dominate!! Eat your young and aggregate! I have grotty silicon!"
      -- AOL CD when played backwards  (User Friendly - 200-10-15)

Re: [lang] 1.2 vs 1.4 Was: [lang] Words - for 2.0

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Can we guarantee that the 1.4 built version is bytecode compatable with 1.2?
> Its not nice whichever way around you do it.
>
> How about build under 1.4, then use the jar to run the test cases against
> under 1.2?

FWIW, I have done this both ways with current sources -- build w/ 1.4,
run tests using 1.2 and vice versa.  Both work for me. I also ran
1.4-compiled tests on 1.3 and that worked as well.  I did this earlier
today thinking that I might see performance differences, but I did not
(i.e., the 1.2-compiled code seems to run as fast under 1.4 as the 1.4
compiled version. <disclaimer> This is based on just 2 runs with each
config so is by no means scientific. Also, our unit tests are obviously
not performance tests </disclaimer>).

Phil

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
There are known problems with binaries built on JDK 1.4 being run on JDK
1.2.  The primary issue is that a JDK 1.4 class may have a more specific
signature than a JDK 1.2 method, so the JDK 1.4 compile will use the more
specific signature, which isn't there on JDK 1.2.  I compile the Apache
James builds with JDK 1.3, and our javadocs with JDK 1.4.

	--- Noel

Re: [lang] 1.2 vs 1.4 Was: [lang] Words - for 2.0

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
How about the -target 1.1 flag to the 1.4 compiler?

Ant allows us to pass this, and apparantly 1.1 means JDK's 1.1->1.3. So we
would javadoc with 1.4 and build with 1.4 for 1.1->1.3.

No idea how much of a guarentee that is.

Hen

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.