Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Chris Reynolds <sh...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/22 10:48:33 UTC

HTTP responses slower after first attempt

Hi,

I am performing some basic performance tests with Traffic Server with and
without a plugin I have written. I have noticed that if you download
(without any plugin enabled) a file then download another file that the
second download is a lot slower that the first one - over 10 times as slow.
If you then wait for about 10-20 seconds it is back to the original speed.

For example downloading an 8MB file using wget takes about 0.09s, but
downloading the same or another 8 MB file on the same server again it is
1.3s. If I bypass the proxy then the files always downloads at about 0.07s.

This seems to be affecting the overall performance of Traffic Server. Note I
am using version 3.0.0 with no caching enabled.

Has any one got any ideas?

Thank-you,

Chris Reynolds.

Re: HTTP responses slower after first attempt

Posted by Chris Reynolds <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have managed to resolve this problem. If the
proxy.config.http.share_server_sessions config value is set to 0 then this
problem does not occur - the default is 1. When running performance tests I
was using the same server.

Is this a bug? I would have thought that sharing server sessions would make
the performance faster not slower.

Chris Reynolds.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 08/23/2011 09:01 AM, Chris Reynolds wrote:
> Thank-you. The trunk build does seem to have fixed the problem.

Great! If you wouldn't mind, take the 3.1.0-unstable release candidate
out for a spin, and post your vote on it here.

     http://people.apache.org/~zwoop/rel-candidates/

This version has the fix as well.

-- Leif

Re: HTTP responses slower after first attempt

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Reynolds <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Reynolds <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "ming.zym@gmail.com" <mi...@gmail.com>.