Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Olson, Ron" <RO...@lbpc.com> on 2011/07/21 22:47:01 UTC

Determine which field term was found?

Hi all-

Is there an easy way to find out which field matched a term in an OR query using Solr? I have a document with names in two multi-valued fields and I am searching for "Smith", using the query "A_NAMES:smith OR B_NAMES:smith". I figure I could loop through both result arrays, but that seems weird to me to have to search again for the value in a result.

Thanks for any info,

Ron

DISCLAIMER: This electronic message, including any attachments, files or documents, is intended only for the addressee and may contain CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message or any of the information included in or with it is  unauthorized and strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete and destroy this message and its attachments, along with any copies thereof. This message does not create any contractual obligation on behalf of the sender or Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
Thank you.

RE: Determine which field term was found?

Posted by "Olson, Ron" <RO...@lbpc.com>.
Hmm, okay, well, if that's the way it works, then I'll loop through the arrays, as the query is pretty much as described.

Related to what you said about how lucene works, do you think this is functionality something worth opening an enhancement request for, or is it such a tiny corner-case as to not be worth it?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Ron

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.
I've had this problem too, although never come up with a good solution.

I've wondered, is there any clever way to use the highlighter to
accomplish tasks like this, or is that more trouble than any help it'll
get you?

Jonathan

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.