Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Steve <st...@Basit.COM> on 2003/08/01 19:33:55 UTC

HELP: Excel message on my PC: "Unable to read file"

I guess there could be many possible causes, but just in case someone
has an idea about this........

In POI 1.10.0, I read in an xls template, and using POI API I create/write a
moderately
large xls file of size 420 KB.  This is a spreadsheet which I expect to
have about 18,000 rows and 5 columns. Some cells have borders and
some cells are colored and shaded.

If I try to open this xls file in Excel 97 on my PC, I get the popup window
message: "Unable to read file."

When the data is less, there is no problem opening the resulting xls
file on my PC.

What does that indicate?
What am I doing wrong, possibly?
I can create a 6000 KB spreadsheet in Excel, with 65000 rows, save it
and open it in Excel with no problem.

QUESTIONS:
Pehaps I don't understand some basics. When I read in a template xls file
and add new rows to it, I assume that I can, for example, add a new row 27
and then add a new row 29, without doing anything with row 28. Thus, row
28 is not created in POI API, but it will exist in the new xls file.

Re: HELP: Excel message on my PC: "Unable to read file"

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Hi Steve,

First off, I prefer not to be CC'd on mails to the POI list.  Its fairly
annoying to get 2 copies of things.  Its also disrespectful to the other POI
users and developers. It also virtually assures that other developers won't
answer which is real bad for me because my workload is rather large and I
travel a lot.

Secondly, its really not such a great idea to use such an old development
release.  It sounds like a bug which we have already fixed to do with some
concurrency issues.  When you use an old development release and then ask
for help, its less forthcoming because folks are like "well damn, I fixed
that ages ago...go download the fix".

Lastly, yes you can modify an existing sheet.  I'm curious as to whether you
realize that Excel row 10 = HSSF row 9 (1 based vs 0 based).  One problem
folks sometimes have is that POI is a port of the Excel file format, not the
GUI or associated VBA API.  This is partly because I found the VBA API
extremely frustrating to use as well as Formula 1 because it mimiced it.  So
when I designed HSSF it was specifically intended NOT to take this approach.

-Andy

On 8/1/03 1:33 PM, "Steve" <st...@Basit.COM> wrote:

> I guess there could be many possible causes, but just in case someone
> has an idea about this........
>
> In POI 1.10.0, I read in an xls template, and using POI API I create/write a
> moderately
> large xls file of size 420 KB.  This is a spreadsheet which I expect to
> have about 18,000 rows and 5 columns. Some cells have borders and
> some cells are colored and shaded.
>
> If I try to open this xls file in Excel 97 on my PC, I get the popup window
> message: "Unable to read file."
>
> When the data is less, there is no problem opening the resulting xls
> file on my PC.
>
> What does that indicate?
> What am I doing wrong, possibly?
> I can create a 6000 KB spreadsheet in Excel, with 65000 rows, save it
> and open it in Excel with no problem.
>
> QUESTIONS:
> Pehaps I don't understand some basics. When I read in a template xls file
> and add new rows to it, I assume that I can, for example, add a new row 27
> and then add a new row 29, without doing anything with row 28. Thus, row
> 28 is not created in POI API, but it will exist in the new xls file.

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?