Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Hamacher, Eric" <Er...@gallup.com> on 2009/03/09 19:30:53 UTC

rocky transition from XEP to Apache FOP

Java 1.5.0_16
FOP 0.94
XEP Version 4.14 build 20081212

Just looking for some ideas.

We're trying to leave XEP for Apache FOP but it's been a rough ride for our FO documents.  These documents run fine when generating PDFs in XEP but results in damaged PDFs with many severe errors.  Unfortunately,  I can't share a FO document with you.   The root element of a typical FO looks like

<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
         xmlns:xdt="http://www.w3.org/2004/10/xpath-datatypes"
         xmlns:fn="http://www.w3.org/2004/10/xpath-functions"
         font-family="Arial"
         font-size="8pt">

Could there be a problem with the version of FO being used?

Thanks

J.  ERIC  HAMACHER
Software Application Developer
608.664.3859
8476 Greenway Boulevard
Suite 100
Middleton, WI  53562
USA
GALLUP Technology

Achiever | Learner | Restorative | Intellection | Deliberative

________________________________
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments, if any, may contain confidential and privileged material and are intended only for the person or entity to which the message is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, disclosure, or copying of this information is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately by reply e-mail, and destroy all copies of the original message.

Re: rocky transition from XEP to Apache FOP

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Hamacher, Eric wrote:

Hi,

> Java 1.5.0_16
>
> FOP 0.94
>
> XEP Version 4.14 build 20081212
>

> Just looking for some ideas.
>

> We’re trying to leave XEP for Apache FOP but it’s been a rough ride for
> our FO documents.  These documents run fine when generating PDFs in XEP
> but results in damaged PDFs with many severe errors.  Unfortunately,  I
> can’t share a FO document with you.   The root element of a typical FO
> looks like

I've had to tackle the same problem a few times. The biggest difference
between XEP and FOP is the way indent inheritance works. You can make
FOP behave like XEP by adding the following option to your fop.xconf:

	<break-indent-inheritance>true</break-indent-inheritance>

Although this means FOP is no longer 100% compliant with the spec this
behaviour is far more intuitive and compatible with XEP.

There are also several other problems that can crop up. Mainly warnings
about overflow, table-layout="auto" not being supported etc.

If you have a specific error you need help with then post the error
message up here and we'll do our best to assist.

Chris

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On 09 Mar 2009, at 19:30, Hamacher, Eric wrote:

Hi

> Java 1.5.0_16
> FOP 0.94
> XEP Version 4.14 build 20081212
>
> Just looking for some ideas.
>
> We’re trying to leave XEP for Apache FOP but it’s been a rough ride
> for our FO documents.  These documents run fine when generating PDFs
> in XEP but results in damaged PDFs with many severe errors.
> Unfortunately,  I can’t share a FO document with you.   The root
> element of a typical FO looks like
>
> <fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
>          xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>          xmlns:xdt="http://www.w3.org/2004/10/xpath-datatypes"
>          xmlns:fn="http://www.w3.org/2004/10/xpath-functions"
>          font-family="Arial"
>          font-size="8pt">
>
> Could there be a problem with the version of FO being used?

Not really with the 'version'. You could try FOP 0.95, maybe, but I
don't think that's going to be much different.

There are a number of elements/constructs that FOP currently does not
implement and XEP does (like fo:inline-container and fo:bidi-override).
In other areas, FOP is more strictly compliant to the XSL-FO Rec (or
at least interprets it differently than XEP; thinking of indent-
inheritance and space-resolution).
Those factors could require a significant amount of changes to the
stylesheet that is producing the FO, in order to obtain the same
result as XEP.

Regards

Andreas