Posted to dev@druid.apache.org by Slim Bouguerra <bs...@apache.org> on 2018/04/18 04:15:59 UTC

Dependencies licenses Report

One of the question last dev synch was about the generation of dependency
licenses.
Some projects (ORC and Hive) use the maven site plugin that can generates
reports with all the dependencies and licenses details.
I have run it on Druid and this is how it looks for Druid Api Module.
cmd

mvn project-info-reports:dependencies

The site directory can be found under target/site
here is an example for one module

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P8R0kZjp8zP4WSOVrKdlJF7Xr8-OI7Oe/view?usp=sharing

Also no fancy tools used to detect unwanted licenses, it is done while
reviewing PR

Re: Dependencies licenses Report

Posted by Jihoon Son <gh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Slim,

since all our codes have been imported into Apache, we can start this now.
How's it going with this? Would you let us know what's your plan?

Jihoon

Posted by Gian Merlino <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Slim Bouguerra <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gian Merlino <gi...@apache.org>.
Do you mean the license headers? Those, I think, we shouldn't change until

Posted by Slim Bouguerra <bs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jihoon Son <ji...@apache.org>.
I can do this. I'll make an issue for this in Github and raise a PR.

Jihoon

2018년 4월 20일 (금) 오후 12:30, Gian Merlino <gi...@gmail.com>님이 작성:

Posted by Gian Merlino <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Slim Bouguerra <sl...@gmail.com>.
As Suggested above, RAT is used as a first filter that does most of the
checking but it is not 100% enough.
The mvn site plugin is used to collect list of dependencies but it is not
enough as well.
They manually edit/create the Licenses/Notice files. It is done by
hand/a_human to avoid any glitch that an automatic tool will introduce and
to insure that someone has looked at it.
Seems like it is time consuming the first time but then it should be
incremental thus not that hard.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 8:45 AM, Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The main tool to use is Apache RAT. Definitely use that.
>
> One of the hardest tasks is getting the contents of LICENSE and NOTICE
> right. That is a manual task I’m afraid.
>
> Julian
>
> > On Apr 18, 2018, at 08:34, Gian Merlino <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Slim,
> >
> > Do you know if ORC & Hive use this tool as part of their release process?
> > And if it's considered a good tool by itself for verifying we meet all of
> > the Apache licensing requirements, or if we'll need something else too?
> >
> >> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 9:15 PM, Slim Bouguerra <bs...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> One of the question last dev synch was about the generation of
> dependency
> >> licenses.
> >> Some projects (ORC and Hive) use the maven site plugin that can
> generates
> >> reports with all the dependencies and licenses details.
> >> I have run it on Druid and this is how it looks for Druid Api Module.
> >> cmd
> >>
> >> mvn project-info-reports:dependencies
> >>
> >> The site directory can be found under target/site
> >> here is an example for one module
> >> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P8R0kZjp8zP4WSOVrKdlJF7Xr8-
> >> OI7Oe/view?usp=sharing
> >>
> >> Also no fancy tools used to detect unwanted licenses, it is done while
> >> reviewing PR

B-Slim

Re: Dependencies licenses Report

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.