Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2007/07/30 07:24:13 UTC

JavaScript/AJAX Libraries in OFBiz (was: Re: svn commit: r560854 [1/4])

This is a good question... Right now these are mainly used for special pages and we don't really have framework use of these yet, so I'd say at this point we'll just have to see how things shake out!

The two main contenders in our discussions about this were Prototype and DOJO... so hopefully we won't have too much others coming in that will need to be shaken out. If necessary we'll trim one of these, but we might even want to keep both... I don't know though...

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the best thing to do here?

-David

Re: JavaScript/AJAX Libraries in OFBiz

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Ha yes, I forgot this one. Thanks for clarification Anil.

Jacques

De : "Anil K Patel" <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Anil K Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

De : "Christian Geisert" <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I don't think we actually have an established policy for this. I guess as with anything if there are concerns with a commit then it is totally appropriate to bring them up and discuss them after the fact, and there is nothing stopping a change in direction.

-David

Re: JavaScript/AJAX Libraries in OFBiz (was: Re: svn commit: r560854 [1/4])

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi David

Posted by Anil K Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Jacopo,
Lets say we have a application deployed in production and we take update
from ofbiz trunk. If somebody did not have automatic tests, there are
chances that we may not notice this change in folder name and break some
pages.

Regards
Anil Patel

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Anil,

Posted by Anil K Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
David, Jacopo

I am not sure if its ok to do like this, because if we renamed those
files and added reference to them in screens, later when we update the
version we'll have to update all those screens.
Like following line from OrderScreens.xml in ecommerce line number 441
will change to  something like
<set field="layoutSettings.javaScripts[]"
value="/images/dojo/dojo1.4.js" global="true"/>

Now if we upgrade to dojo1.5.js then we'll have to modify it to
<set field="layoutSettings.javaScripts[]"
value="/images/dojo/dojo1.5.js" global="true"/>

NOTE: I am using dojo just as an example. It could be any javascript file.

All these JavaScript lib files have version number written in the
beginning. Do you think that may be enough.

Regards
Anil Patel

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Posted by Ludovic Maitre <lu...@free.fr>.
Ean Schuessler wrote:
> On Monday 30 July 2007 12:24:13 am David E Jones wrote:
>
>> This is a good question... Right now these are mainly used for special
>> pages and we don't really have framework use of these yet, so I'd say at
>> this point we'll just have to see how things shake out!
>>
>> The two main contenders in our discussions about this were Prototype and
>> DOJO... so hopefully we won't have too much others coming in that will need
>> to be shaken out. If necessary we'll trim one of these, but we might even
>> want to keep both... I don't know though...
>>
>> Does anyone else have any thoughts on the best thing to do here?
>>

> We really do have to look at JQuery. Seriously. I've been using it for various
> things and its tiny, its fast and its a pleasure to work with. Watch JQuery
> hand Dojo its papers on these two Fisheye menu implementations:
>
> Dojo:
> http://dojotoolkit.org/demos/fisheye-demo
>
> JQuery:
> http://interface.eyecon.ro/demos/fisheye.html

+10000

--
Cordialement,
Ludo - http://www.ubik-products.com

Re: JavaScript/AJAX Libraries in OFBiz (was: Re: svn commit: r560854 [1/4])

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.
On Monday 30 July 2007 12:24:13 am David E Jones wrote:
> This is a good question... Right now these are mainly used for special
> pages and we don't really have framework use of these yet, so I'd say at
> this point we'll just have to see how things shake out!
>
> The two main contenders in our discussions about this were Prototype and
> DOJO... so hopefully we won't have too much others coming in that will need
> to be shaken out. If necessary we'll trim one of these, but we might even
> want to keep both... I don't know though...
>
> Does anyone else have any thoughts on the best thing to do here?

We really do have to look at JQuery. Seriously. I've been using it for various
things and its tiny, its fast and its a pleasure to work with. Watch JQuery
hand Dojo its papers on these two Fisheye menu implementations:

Dojo:
http://dojotoolkit.org/demos/fisheye-demo

JQuery:
http://interface.eyecon.ro/demos/fisheye.html

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@brainfood.com

Re: JavaScript/AJAX Libraries in OFBiz (was: Re: svn commit: r560854 [1/4])

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
One year old but still interesting :
http://ajaxian.com/archives/ajaxiancom-2006-survey-results

Jacques

De : "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>
> Sorry, jQuery is released under a dual licence : also MIT :o)
> http://dev.jquery.com/browser/trunk/jquery/MIT-LICENSE.txt
>
> Jacques
>
> De : "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>
> > I do not know much about it (I did not use it yet) but I know that jQuery http://jquery.com/ is winning more and more fans...