Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Xi Shen <da...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/16 05:25:12 UTC

k-means hang without error/warning

Hi,

I am running k-means using Spark in local mode. My data set is about 30k
records, and I set the k = 1000.

The algorithm starts and finished 13 jobs according to the UI monitor, then
it stopped working.

The last log I saw was:

[Spark Context Cleaner] INFO org.apache.spark.ContextCleaner - Cleaned
broadcast *16*

There're many similar log repeated, but it seems it always stop at the 16th.

If I try to low down the *k* value, the algorithm will terminated. So I
just want to know what's wrong with *k=1000*.

Thanks,
David

Re: k-means hang without error/warning

Posted by Xi Shen <da...@gmail.com>.
I used "local[*]". The CPU hits about 80% when there are active jobs, then
it drops to about 13% and hand for a very long time.

Thanks,
David

Posted by Akhil Das <ak...@sigmoidanalytics.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
I think you'd have to say more about "stopped working". Is the GC
thrashing? does the UI respond? is the CPU busy or not?