Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Christian Eichert <mo...@mx.homelinux.org> on 2005/12/03 15:12:17 UTC

I have written a script !!!

I have a wonderfull message for all of you

I wrote a script.
=================
:-)

It's here
http://mx.homelinux.org/spamassassin

WHAT DOES IT DO?
It brings you some rulz. Chechs them, and put them in the ruls folder.
It doesn't touch the official rules, just completes them.

HOW DOES IT WORK
First it creats a folder called "other"
Then it downloads some rules from some locations.

After this it checks them one by one with --lint
If the syntax is OK it copies them paste to the rules folder.

HOW TO USE?
copy the script in your /etc/cron.daily

optionaly _IF_YOU_TRUST_ME_ you may put a crontab to download
it from time to time from the upper location ... someting like

* * * * *  wget wget -q "http://mx.homelinux.org/spamassassin"
--output-document="/etc/cron.daily/sa-fetchrules"
- - - - -
| | | | |
| | | +------- month (1 - 12)
| | +--------- day of month (1 - 31)
| +----------- hour (0 - 23)
+------------- min (0 - 59)

WHY to put in crontab?
because I will work on it and so you have allways the newest File
with the newest rulz.

It' GNU/GPL so you can all use it Falks.

someone kiss me !

--
                                                         \|/
                                                        (o o)

Re: I have written a script !!!

Posted by Christian Eichert <mo...@mx.homelinux.org>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> At 09:12 AM 12/3/2005, Christian Eichert wrote:

> So how is this different from the RulesDuJour script that everyone uses?

it's yet another script

this the princip of linux ...
many different applications

not only one ... we talk about later

and it will be schorter cooler and use less memory
sa uses a lot of RAM
I will measure it and tell you ...

Re: I have written a script !!!

Posted by Christian Eichert <mo...@mx.homelinux.org>.
Michele Neylon:: Blacknight.ie wrote:
> Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>>At 09:12 AM 12/3/2005, Christian Eichert wrote:
>>

>>>I have a wonderfull message for all of you
>>>
>>>I wrote a script.
>>>=================
>>>:-)
>>>
>>>It's here
>>>http://mx.homelinux.org/spamassassin
>>>
>>>WHAT DOES IT DO?
>>>It brings you some rulz. Chechs them, and put them in the ruls folder.
>>>It doesn't touch the official rules, just completes them.
>>

>>So how is this different from the RulesDuJour script that everyone uses?
>
> It's not anything near as complete. The default location for the custom
> rules does not look suitable to me and there is no linting of the rules
> after an update, which seems to defeat the object of the exercise in my
> opinion.

of corse .. it's scrap ... yeaks throw it away

for me it works better ... i have less spam

Re: I have written a script !!!

Posted by "Michele Neylon:: Blacknight.ie" <mi...@blacknight.ie>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> At 09:12 AM 12/3/2005, Christian Eichert wrote:
>
>> I have a wonderfull message for all of you
>>
>> I wrote a script.
>> =================
>> :-)
>>
>> It's here
>> http://mx.homelinux.org/spamassassin
>>
>> WHAT DOES IT DO?
>> It brings you some rulz. Chechs them, and put them in the ruls folder.
>> It doesn't touch the official rules, just completes them.
>

> So how is this different from the RulesDuJour script that everyone uses?
It's not anything near as complete. The default location for the custom
rules does not look suitable to me and there is no linting of the rules
after an update, which seems to defeat the object of the exercise in my
opinion.

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions

Re: I have written a script !!!

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.

Re: I have written a script !!!

Posted by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net>.
> Please remove my antidrug.cf from your script. This file should NOT be
> used by anyone with SA version 3.0.0 or higher as they are already
> included.
>
> Please see my post "Antidrug.cf deprecated and no longer maintained."
>  From November 29.

Eek! I didn't see that message. Glad I saw *this* one, and removed the
antidrug.cf file. :)

Re: I have written a script !!!

Posted by Christian Eichert <mo...@mx.homelinux.org>.
Matt Kettler wrote:

> One other thing Christian.
>
> Please remove my antidrug.cf from your script. This file should NOT be
> used by anyone with SA version 3.0.0 or higher as they are already
> included.
>
> Please see my post "Antidrug.cf deprecated and no longer maintained."
> From November 29.
>
> I intend to remove this file and rename in antidrug-pre30.cf in the near
> future.

thanks

I see no problem because if it is not lint-ing
it is not added to the other rules

but I removed it

thanks again

why dont' you put the replay to the list
I get every mail double

BTW mailman can set this up to not sent mail double

regards

Re: I have written a script !!!

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.

Re: Antwort: I have written a script !!!

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
jdow wrote:
> Sounds just like the Rules du Jour situation to me. {^,-} And you CAN
> read the script and figure out what it does, if you want.

Not quite.  RDJ never updates itself -- it downloads the new version of
the script to a temporary location.  Then it notifies you so that you
can check it manually and copy it to /usr/local/bin (or wherever) yourself.

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: Antwort: I have written a script !!!

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: <sr...@abit.de>

> Christian Eichert <mo...@mx.homelinux.org> schrieb am 03.12.2005 15:12:17:
>
>> optionaly _IF_YOU_TRUST_ME_ you may put a crontab to download
>> it from time to time from the upper location ... someting like
>>
>> * * * * *  wget wget -q "http://mx.homelinux.org/spamassassin"
>> --output-document="/etc/cron.daily/sa-fetchrules"
> [...snip...]
>> WHY to put in crontab?
>> because I will work on it and so you have allways the newest File
>> with the newest rulz.
>
> Uhm, so you expect people to automatically download a file from
> your webserver to have it executed automatically as root? o.O
> I'm really sorry, but suggesting this is so out of bounds, how
> do you expect people to take that serious? It's not even about
> trusting you or not, it's about a very, very high risk one
> would expose himself. There is no perfect security, every
> server can be hacked one day - yours too.
> Please stop suggesting things that could make things worse for
> a lot of people.

Sounds just like the Rules du Jour situation to me. {^,-} And you CAN
read the script and figure out what it does, if you want.

FWIW I don't use Rules du Jour myself, either. I'm too lazy to switch
over to it. I built mine while RdJ was being developed, or that's what
it seemed like at the time. Mine's a fairly straightforward bash script.
If anyone else wants it I might doubt their good sense; but, I'd send it
to them no strings, if it breaks you get to keep the pieces. That said
I don't THINK it would break.

{O.O}

Re: Antwort: I have written a script !!!

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
srunschke@abit.de wrote:
> Uhm, so you expect people to automatically download a file from
> your webserver to have it executed automatically as root? o.O
> I'm really sorry, but suggesting this is so out of bounds, how
> do you expect people to take that serious? It's not even about
> trusting you or not, it's about a very, very high risk one
> would expose himself. There is no perfect security, every
> server can be hacked one day - yours too.
> Please stop suggesting things that could make things worse for
> a lot of people.

To his credit, Christian did make this optional and the name does imply there's
some risk.

However, you are right, way too many admins won't realize how dangerous it is to
turn this option on. Of course, sometimes people need to learn the hard way...
(and even that's not very effective, otherwise email viruses would be extinct.)

Antwort: I have written a script !!!

Posted by sr...@abit.de.
Christian Eichert <mo...@mx.homelinux.org> schrieb am 03.12.2005 15:12:17:

> optionaly _IF_YOU_TRUST_ME_ you may put a crontab to download
> it from time to time from the upper location ... someting like
>
> * * * * *  wget wget -q "http://mx.homelinux.org/spamassassin"
> --output-document="/etc/cron.daily/sa-fetchrules"
[...snip...]
> WHY to put in crontab?
> because I will work on it and so you have allways the newest File
> with the newest rulz.

Uhm, so you expect people to automatically download a file from
your webserver to have it executed automatically as root? o.O
I'm really sorry, but suggesting this is so out of bounds, how
do you expect people to take that serious? It's not even about
trusting you or not, it's about a very, very high risk one
would expose himself. There is no perfect security, every
server can be hacked one day - yours too.
Please stop suggesting things that could make things worse for
a lot of people.

regards
        sash