Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by DeWayne <de...@boeing.com> on 2009/11/10 19:06:54 UTC

How to ignore the DTD called out in DOCTYPE declaration and use one specified by the user?

According to the documentation at Sun documentation
(http://java.sun.com/webservices/reference/tutorials/jaxp/html/sax.html), "
When the application specifies the schema to use, it overrides any schema
declaration in the document.". I've tried to setup a SAXParser on an HP-UX
box using Xerces-J-2.9.1 which is JAXP1.2 compliant to use an external DTD
rather than the one specified in the document.

What am I missing to get the Parser to ignore the internal DTD and use an
external one?

snippet - XML file has a DOCTYPE declaration:
======================================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE mpd SYSTEM "mpboe03.dtd" [
<!ENTITY % isobox PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Box and Line Drawing//EN//XML"
"http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007/isobox.ent"

 %isobox;

snippet - code:
	private static final String JAXP_SCHEMA_SOURCE =
"http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/properties/schemaSource";
	private static final String JAXP_SCHEMA_LANGUAGE =
"http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/properties/schemaLanguage";
    private static final String W3C_XML_SCHEMA =
"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";

		try {
//1.  Create a SAXParserFactory object.
			SAXParserFactory spf = SAXParserFactory.newInstance();

//2. Set the namespace-aware and validating properties to true.
	                spf.setNamespaceAware(true);
	                spf.setValidating(true);

//  3. Obtain a SAXParser object.
	                SAXParser saxParser = spf.newSAXParser();

	                parser = saxParser.getXMLReader();
			parser.setErrorHandler(this);

			// Turn on validation
			parser.setFeature("http://xml.org/sax/features/validation", true);

 //4. Set the properties for the schema language and schema source
			parser.setProperty(JAXP_SCHEMA_LANGUAGE, W3C_XML_SCHEMA);
			parser.setProperty(JAXP_SCHEMA_SOURCE, myOwnDTD.getAbsolutePath());

//5. Parse the document. The parser must have access to an ErrorHandler
object.
			parser.parse(file.getAbsolutePath()); // file is the xml file to parse
                     }catch ... // all necessary exceptions

Results:
Get an io.FileNotFoundException: The parser is looking for the DTD called
out in the DOCTYPE declaration instead of using the one specified by the
coder myOwnDTD.dtd.

java.io.FileNotFoundException: mpboe03.dtd (No such file or directory
(errno:2))
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(FileURLConnection.java:70)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(FileURLConnection.java:161)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.setupCurrentEntity(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.startEntity(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.startDTDEntity(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDTDScannerImpl.setInputSource(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$DTDDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown
Source)
        at
Source)
Source)
Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown
Source)
        at JavaXMLParse.parse(JavaXMLParse.java:103)
        at JavaXMLParse.main(JavaXMLParse.java:154)

Re: How to ignore the DTD called out in DOCTYPE declaration and use one specified by the user?

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
I'm not surprised. Your EntityResolver is unconditionally returning the
same InputSource regardless of the parameters passed to resolveEntity().
Looks like your EntityResolver would be called at least twice; once for the
external DTD ("?mpboe03.dtd") and once for the "isobox" parameter entity (
"http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007/isobox.ent"). You should examine the
systemId / publicId in your decision making of what to return from the
method.

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

DeWayne <de...@boeing.com> wrote on 11/10/2009 08:39:04 PM:

> Ok, I create an entity resolver to specify the external DTD. However, I'm
> getting many parse errors of the kind
>
> Error: Parsing - Element type "task-description" must not be declared
more
> than once.
> Error: Parsing - Element type "cmr-type" must not be declared more than
> once.
> Error: Parsing - Element type "related-mrbs" must not be declared more
than
> once.
> Error: Parsing - Element type "related-mrb" must not be declared more
than
> once.
> Error: Parsing - Element type "task-cat" must not be declared more than
> once.
> Error: Parsing - Element type "cmr-intervals" must not be declared more
than
> once.
> Error: Parsing - Element type "cmr-interval" must not be declared more
than
> once.
> Error: Parsing - Element type "precluded-tasks" must not be declared more
> than once.
> Error: Parsing - Element type "precluded-task" must not be declared more
> than once.
> Error: Parsing - Element type "precluded-struct-task" must not be
declared
> more than once.
> Error: Parsing - Element type "precluded-struct-tasks" must not be
declared
> more than once.
> Error: Parsing - Element type "precluded-sys-task" must not be declared
more
> than once.
>
> This is odd because I placed the same DTD in the XML file's DOCTYPE
> declaration and parse the file w/o using an entity resolver and it parses
> without errors. What am I doing wrong with my entity resovler or is it
not
> setting a specific DTD feature on the Parser?
>
> snippet - code of entity resolver
>    public InputSource resolveEntity(String publicId, String systemId)
>          throws SAXException, IOException
>    {
>        if(_MyOwnSystemId != null)
>        {
>           InputSource is = new InputSource(_MyOwnSystemId );
>           return is;
>        }
>        else// use the default behavior
>        {
>          return null;
>        }
>    }

> Michael Glavassevich-3 wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > The JAXP 1.2 schema properties are only relevant to XML Schema
validation.
> > They have nothing to do with loading DTDs. Try using an EntityResolver
> [...]
PM:

Posted by DeWayne <de...@boeing.com>.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi,