Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marcelo Maraboli <ma...@usm.cl> on 2005/03/21 17:13:45 UTC

Sendmail, MimeDefang & Spamd ??

Hello

I have Sendmail 8.12.11 + MimeDefang -2.40 running the
perl version of SpamAssassin 2.63 and my CPU is at 98%,
so I want to change to Spamd/Spamc, but I cannot find
the exact install procedure...

Is Spamd supported by MimeDefang ??  should I use
  milter-spamc/0.25 (beta) instead ??

atte,
--
Marcelo Maraboli Rosselott
Jefe Area de Redes y Comunicaciones (Network & UNIX Systems Engineer)

Direccion Central de Servicios Computacionales (DCSC)
Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria, Chile.
phone: +56 32 654237
mailto: marcelo.maraboli @ usm.cl	http://elqui.dcsc.utfsm.cl/

Re: Sendmail, MimeDefang & Spamd ??

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Marcelo Maraboli wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have Sendmail 8.12.11 + MimeDefang -2.40 running the
> perl version of SpamAssassin 2.63 and my CPU is at 98%,
> so I want to change to Spamd/Spamc, but I cannot find
> the exact install procedure...
>
> Is Spamd supported by MimeDefang ??  should I use
>  milter-spamc/0.25 (beta) instead ??

First, I'd suggest upgrading to 2.64 or higher before going much
further. SA 2.63 is vulnerable to a DOS attack by messages with
specially malformed mime sections.

Do not run versions 2.50-2.63 on a production server due to the
potential for DoS.

Second, converting to spamc/spamd would be SLOWER for a MimeDefang
setup, not faster.

MimeDefang calls the SpamAssassin perl API's directly, a method that is
faster than using spamc/spamd, but is only usable by tools written in perl.

spamc/spamd is faster than calling the "spamassassin" command-line
script, but not faster than directly loading the API's.