Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by Kanchan Mehrotra <ka...@microsoft.com> on 2014/10/15 00:46:10 UTC

Supporting Log4Net on ASP.NET vNext

Hi Log4Net Developers,

I am Kanchan Mehrotra, a Senior Test Lead on the ASP.NET team. I am reaching out to you as you are contributors to the Log4Net package which is popular in the .NET community. We would like to discuss with you plans for releasing support for your package for ASP.NET vNext<https://www.asp.net/vnext>. ASP.NET vNext is a new, lean and composable framework for building Web and cloud applications. It is open source<https://github.com/aspnet/home>, cross-platform<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2014/08/12/develop-asp-net-vnext-applications-on-a-mac.aspx>, and supports true side-by-side versioning. ASP.NET vNext is "The Future of .NET on the Server<http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2014/DEV-B385>" and we are very excited about what it brings to the .NET community!

As a part of our testing to understand the porting experience to ASP.NET vNext we ported some parts of your package source to use the latest preview release of ASP.NET vNext. We would like to share our initial investigations with you. Jiří Činčura, Daniel Roth and I met earlier and thought it would be great to include some of you in these discussions so please do let me know who on the project owners team should we involve in these discussions to share more information about ASP.Net vNext and support Serilog on this new stack.

Thanks,
Kanchan

Re: Supporting Log4Net on ASP.NET vNext

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@apache.org>.
Good morning Kanchan Mehrotra,

happy to know you. I am Dominik, one of the log4net developers and member
of the Apache Logging PMC.

In general, the log4net project is supported by the ASF and the main way to
communicate are mailing lists. For the log4net project there are three
mailing lists:

* log4net-user
* log4net-dev
* logging-pmc

If you have less technical questions or want to share information with
people using log4net, log4net-user is your mailing list of interest. The
log4net-dev mailing list is the main way to communicate with the log4net
developers and technical discussions that go beyond "using log4net" should
go there. If you have questions that go even beyond the technical aspects
of log4net like legal questions or information that should be kept private,
the logging-pmc is your mailing list of interest. A good example for when
to contacting the logging pmc is when you have found a security issue that
should not be known to the public before being fixed.

Best regards,
Dominik

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
Hi again

Conference call protocols tend to get lost and finding a good time is hard
since we are all spread around the globe. An asynchrone media works best.
Please send an outline of the requirements to the mailing list and we can
discuss this.

Cheers

Posted by Kanchan Mehrotra <ka...@microsoft.com>.
Thanks folks!