Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/29 04:29:46 UTC

[OT] Is there a Java client to interact with directory server?

Hi all

I am spark, and I am from apache harmony project. Nice to meet you here.

Recently, I am developing Ldap service provider for HDK. It's a jndi
feature. In essence, this service provider is a ldap client, which supports
LdapV3 extended operations and controls.
May be the client with apache license is already here, I think. If so, I am
lucky enough to avoid reinventing the wheel :-)

If there is no such a client, does any guru here knows where I can find one
with apache compatible license?

Thanks in advance.
--
Spark Shen
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [OT] Is there a Java client to interact with directory server?

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
On 8/29/07, Leo Li <li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   Does apache Directory project has an implementation for kerberos client?
> Although there might exist some gap from the code to the JGSS provider
> harmony needs, it is nice to avoid re-inventing wheels.:)

Good idea and we are also quite active with the Kerberos code so we
will be available to add missing features, fix bugs, and hone the
client-side API to meet your needs.

Enrique

Re: [OT] Is there a Java client to interact with directory server?

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
  Furthermore, harmony is also exploring for an open source implementation
for JGSS provider, whose mainly job is to work as a kerberos client to
interact with KDC to try to login then get and cache the ticket for a
registered service or authenticate whether client has the privilege to
access the service.

  [1] is the java doc of jgss package and harmony currently has the
framework of jgss but lacks the implementation for GSSManager, for example,
sun has the sun.security.jgss.GSSManagerImpl, and other implementations
for GSSContext, GSSName and GSSCredential.

  Does apache Directory project has an implementation for kerberos client?
Although there might exist some gap from the code to the JGSS provider
harmony needs, it is nice to avoid re-inventing wheels.:)

Thanks.

[1]
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/org/ietf/jgss/package-summary.html

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
2007/8/29, Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>:

> Spark Shen schrieb:
> > I tried the studio. Seems it lacks of sasl authentication support. Will
> > this feature be included? Or is it already included?
> >

> SASL authentication will be included in version 1.0, it will be released
> next week.

Great news !

Kind Regards,

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
I tried the studio. Seems it lacks of sasl authentication support. Will this
feature be included? Or is it already included?

Best regards

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.
Hi Spark!

Spark Shen wrote:

> Recently, I am developing Ldap service provider for HDK. It's a jndi
> feature. In essence, this service provider is a ldap client, which
> supports LdapV3 extended operations and controls.
> May be the client with apache license is already here, I think. If so, I
> am lucky enough to avoid reinventing the wheel :-)

I assume that Spark does not mean a UI client. As far as I have
understood it, he tries to implement a service provider for JNDI, which
is a plugin without any UI at all. No?

Both JXplorer and Directory Studio are nice tools, but I think both use
an existing LDAP service provider, like the one in Sun JDK.

Do we have client LDAP code within Apache Directory? Or do we only
implement the server side of the protocol? Emmanuel?

Greetings,
     Stefan

Re: [OT] Is there a Java client to interact with directory server?

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all !!

I downloaded the studio on Windows platform, and find it powerful and very
fancy.

But still, I have some questions.
1. Since we are developing class library, the UI part is unnecessary. How
can I peel off the UI part?

2. The ldap service provider provides the programmable interface for harmony
class library users. In turn, it should be able to invoke ldap operations
programmatically. Does the studio provides any API?

Best regards

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Spark !

Re: [classlib][ldap] Fwd: [OT] Is there a Java client to interact with directory server?

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
On 8/31/07, Leo Li <li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/29/07, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > We need an LDAP client *library* rather than a client tool though.
> >
> > Reading the thread [1] on Apache Directory it seems that they do have
> > such a thing, so it may be just a case of figuring out how to take it as
> > a separate library and converting writing the JNDI provider code.
> >
> > BTW: Seems that they are also maintaining an ASN.1 library -- that
> > sounds like a candidate for factoring out as a common component.
>

>    Agree. A lot of other security related problem depends on this library,
> such as pureTLS.

                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^
                                                           projects, I
mean.:)

    Furthermore, the X509 certificate library is also another good candidate

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your comments.

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your help.

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
Apache Directory Studio
http://directory.apache.org/studio/

Pure Java.
ASL.
Standalone application or Eclipse plug-in.
Stable.
Features not present in any other LDAP client. Best on the planet! (Yes
it's.)

On 8/29/07, chris@pegacat.com <ch...@pegacat.com> wrote:

> <plug>
> The folks here have developed a neat eclipse plug-in client, but if you
> want
> a stand-alone client jxplorer (http://jxplorer.org) may do the trick.
>
> It uses the old Apache licence with the words 'Apache' crossed out and
> 'Computer Associates' put in instead.
> </plug>
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I am spark, and I am from apache harmony project. Nice to meet you here.
> >
> > Recently, I am developing Ldap service provider for HDK. It's a jndi
> > feature. In essence, this service provider is a ldap client, which
> supports
> > LdapV3 extended operations and controls.
> > May be the client with apache license is already here, I think. If so, I
> am
> > lucky enough to avoid reinventing the wheel :-)
> >
> > If there is no such a client, does any guru here knows where I can find
> one
> > with apache compatible license?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > --
> > Spark Shen
> > China Software Development Lab, IBM
>

> ---------------------------------------
> Dr Christopher Betts
> Melbourne, Australia
> pegacat.com
>
> Wer mit Ungeheuern kampft, mag zusehn,
> dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird.
>                            - Nietzsche
>
> (Who fights Monsters must beware,
>      lest in doing so they become one)

--
Ersin Er
http://www.ersin-er.name

Re: [OT] Is there a Java client to interact with directory server?

Posted by ch...@pegacat.com.