Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Logan Bell <lo...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/03 08:24:19 UTC

[lucy-dev] Automated Testing and Builds

Hello everyone,

I would be interested in setting up and requesting an automated
testing/build service for the Lucy project. As of right now I don't believe
we have any automated tests/builds across multiple platforms ( feel free to
correct me in this assessment ). Fortunately Apache offers such a service
and if we have a consensus, I would propose that this would be a win for
the Lucy project.

Some key benefits of using the build service are the following:

* Per commit builds can be set up.
* We can set up an irc bot to report any failures
* Builds across multiple platforms.

To find out more I've included some of the Apache links:

http://ci.apache.org/
http://ci.apache.org/buildbot.html

If everyone agrees this is of value, I'll be willing to spearhead this
effort.

Thanks,
Logan

Re: [lucy-dev] Automated Testing and Builds

Posted by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de>.
On 05/12/2011 07:11, Logan Bell wrote:
> 5. Platforms for testing: Generic Linux and FreeBSD.

According to http://ci.apache.org/buildbot.html the ASF Buildbot also
offers Solaris, Windows 7, OS X and OpenBSD. In my experience automated
testing is especially useful on more exotic platforms. Testing on
Windows would be really great, for example, because that's a platform
that breaks easily and is difficult to test for many developers. I'd
also include OS X, or simple every available platform if there aren't
any restrictions.

Nick

Re: [lucy-dev] Automated Testing and Builds

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 10:50:41PM -0800, Logan Bell wrote:
> We now have automated builds upon check-in.

Excellent!

Please break something.  :)

Let's see what the failure report to lucy-issues looks like.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] Automated Testing and Builds

Posted by Logan Bell <lo...@gmail.com>.
Dev,

We now have automated builds upon check-in.

The current builder report is located here:
http://ci.apache.org/builders/lucy-trunk-fbsd

And for those who are familiar builder bot and its various configuration
options, the conf is available here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/aegis/buildmaster/master1/projects/lucy.conf

Feel free to log into #lucy_dev and say hi to our new team member
"lucy-bot", he/she will will *dance, destroy, *get *excited*, and also
perform utilitarian tasks regarding builds. A big thank you goes out to the
infrastructure team for quickly getting this setup without a hitch.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 10:11:37PM -0800, Logan Bell wrote:
> Below I have included my initial draft of what I plan to submit via JIRA to
> the infrastructure team. Please let me know if I have missed anything
> obvious for this request.

In general, this looks great.  I'm glad that you're formulating the request to
Infra with care.  Infra is a valuable, limited resource.

> Further, please take note that I requested that they use Perl 5.14.2 for the
> testing, however, are there other versions of Perl we should be running
> tests on?

Theoretically, we could test with every version of Perl from 5.8.3 forwards.
And as we add other host language bindings, every supported version of those,
too... and every possible OS... and every possible compiler on every OS...
You probably see where I'm going with this.  :)

I don't think it matters much which version of Perl we test on so long as it's
5.10.0 or greater.  Why not just use /usr/bin/perl so that nobody has to go
compiling a special Perl for us?

> 4. Notify via a bot on #luc_dev on irc.freenode.org

Typo: s/#luc_dev/#lucy_dev/

> 5. Platforms for testing: Generic Linux and FreeBSD.

How about we just ask for one or the other to start with?

We can add more platforms once we get a feel for how the system works.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] Automated Testing and Builds

Posted by Logan Bell <lo...@gmail.com>.
Glad to hear that everyone seems to be on board. :) Below I have included
my initial draft of what I plan to submit via JIRA to the infrastructure
team. Please let me know if I have missed anything obvious for this
request. Further, please take note that I requested that they use Perl
5.14.2 for the testing, however, are there other versions of Perl we should
be running tests on?

Thanks again,
Logan

=cut
Lucy Build Bot Request
=========================

Repository Location
---------------
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucy/trunk

Requirements
---------------
1. Initially just the execution of test suite.
2. Access to generated reports.
3. Send any failure to lucy-issues@incubator.apache.org
4. Notify via a bot on #luc_dev on irc.freenode.org
5. Platforms for testing: Generic Linux and FreeBSD.

Dependencies
----------------
Current most stable version of Perl ( v5.14.2 ).

Building Lucy
----------------
  $ cd perl/
  $ perl Build.PL
  $ ./Build test

Thanks
----------------
Feel free to email me directly or hop on the #lucy_dev channel with
questions.

Re: [lucy-dev] Automated Testing and Builds

Posted by "David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com>.
On Dec 3, 2011, at 7:46 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> LOL, I'm all in with +1s!

/me too: +1

David

Re: [lucy-dev] Automated Testing and Builds

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
LOL, I'm all in with +1s!

On Dec 3, 2011, at 6:40 AM, Peter Karman wrote:

> Logan Bell wrote on 12/3/11 1:24 AM:
>

>> If everyone agrees this is of value, I'll be willing to spearhead this
>> effort.
>
> I'll see Marvin's Big +1, and raise it to a Huge +1.
>

> --
> Peter Karman  .  http://peknet.com/  .  peter@peknet.com

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [lucy-dev] Automated Testing and Builds

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 11:24:19PM -0800, Logan Bell wrote:
> I would be interested in setting up and requesting an automated
> testing/build service for the Lucy project.

Big +1.  :)

I'd like to suggest that the notifications be sent to the lucy-issues list.

Some projects have a dedicated list, e.g. notifications@subversion.a.o, but
that seems like overkill.  And I'd really be sad if we forced them on all dev
list subcribers, a la dev@lucene.a.o.  The same people who need to see issue
tracker notifications -- committers -- are the ones who need to see the
buildbot notifications, and of course anyone else who wants to can subscribe
voluntarily.

> As of right now I don't believe we have any automated tests/builds across
> multiple platforms

We don't have any automated testing at all right now.  I'd be psyched with
just a generic Linux or FreeBSD install running tests for the Perl build on
the mainline for starters.

Our mainline has no CPAN dependencies any more, so setting this up is easier
than it would have been a few months ago.

> If everyone agrees this is of value, I'll be willing to spearhead this
> effort.

+1

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] Automated Testing and Builds

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Logan,

Super +1. CI is awesome. Jenkins is great, and so is Build Bot.

Cheers,
Chris