Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Anthony Ikeda <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/14 23:43:49 UTC

Configuring the keyspace correctly - NTS

Okay, in a previous post, it was stated that I could use a
NetworkTopologyStrategy in a singel data centre by setting up my keyspace
with:

create keyspace KeyspaceDEV

    with placement_strategy =
'org.apache.cassandra.locator.NetworkTopologyStrategy'

    and strategy_options=[{datacenter1:3}];

Whereby my understanding is that:

[{datacenter1:3}]

represents:

   - 1 Datacentre
   - 3 nodes in that datacentre

My infrastructure team were recommended to instead of use "datacenter1" to
use the second value in the IP address:
x.130.x.x

[{130:3}]

However, when trying to access the keyspace the following error was return:

"May not be enough replicas present to handle consistency level"
When I rebuilt the keyspace using the "datacenter1" semantic, it worked
fine.

My guess is that there is some correlation between the "130" value and
either the rpc_address or listen_address. Am I correct in thinking this?

I don't have access to the se configurations so I'm just going out on a whim
here trying to figure out why using the "130" form the IP address would
cause the error.

Anthony

Re: Configuring the keyspace correctly - NTS

Posted by Anthony Ikeda <an...@gmail.com>.
Aaron, when using the RackInferringSnitch, is the octet correlated from the
rpc_address or listen_address?

I just noticed that when I tried to configure this locally on my laptop I
had to "0" (127.0.0.1) instead of "160" (192.160.202.235)

Anthony

Posted by Anthony Ikeda <an...@gmail.com>.
Great that makes perfect sense - I apologise for not getting this right it
seems I'm doing someone elses job here.

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
The strategy_options for NTS accept the data centre name and the rf, [{<dc_name> : <dc_rf>}]

Where the DC name comes from the snitch, so…

SimpleSnitch (gotta love this guy, in there day in day out putting in the hard yards) puts all the nodes in "datacenter1" which is why thats in the defaults.

RackInferringSnitch (or the "Hollywood Snitch" as I call it) puts the them in a DC named after the second octet of the IP. So 130 in your  case.

PropertyFileSnitch does whats in the cassandra-topology.properties file. EC2Snitch uses the EC2 Region. Brisk snitch does it's thing.

If you want to use 130 you should be using the RackInferringSnitch, if you want to use human names use either the SimpleSnitch or the PropertyFileSnitch. Property File Snitch has a default catch all DC, see the cassandra-topology.properties file.

Cheers