Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by "Pol, Daniel (BigData)" <da...@hpe.com> on 2017/02/23 20:31:09 UTC

Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha2 startup issue

Hi !

I have a lab system running ok with alpha1 and I wanted to switch to alpha2. Unfortunately I run into issue trying to bring up HDFS, even after reformatting it. I keep getting this type of error in the HDFS daemon logs:
2017-02-22 15:05:45,577 ERROR namenode.NameNode (NameNode.java:main(1709)) - Failed to start namenode.
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.sink.timeline.HadoopTimelineMetricsSink.init(Lorg/apache/commons/configuration2/SubsetConfiguration;)V
        at org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsConfig.getPlugin(MetricsConfig.java:208)
        at org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl.newSink(MetricsSystemImpl.java:531)
        at org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl.configureSinks(MetricsSystemImpl.java:503)
        at org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl.configure(MetricsSystemImpl.java:479)
        at org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl.start(MetricsSystemImpl.java:188)
        at org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl.init(MetricsSystemImpl.java:163)
        at org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.lib.DefaultMetricsSystem.init(DefaultMetricsSystem.java:62)
        at org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.lib.DefaultMetricsSystem.initialize(DefaultMetricsSystem.java:58)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1635)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1704)
2017-02-22 15:05:45,578 INFO  util.ExitUtil (ExitUtil.java:terminate(124)) - Exiting with status 1

Wondering if you have seen similar errors or how to fix it. I made sure all my settings point to alpha2 install

Have a nice day,
Dani
"The more I learn, the less I know"

RE: Hadoop 3.0.0-alpha2 startup issue

Posted by "Pol, Daniel (BigData)" <da...@hpe.com>.
Thanks for your help , that worked :)
I wasn't sure if it was just this or a whole set of things that don't work. It turns out that in my case it was just this metric.

Have a nice day,
Dani

Basically what happened was a Hadoop metrics API change, because we bumped the major version of commons-configuration. For Ambari to adopt this change, the code will need to be patched (s/configuration/configuration2/) and recompiled.

I also updated HADOOP-13660<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13660> and marked it as an incompatible change as a result.

You should able to workaround this issue by disabling this metrics in Ambari (not sure how to do though), but you will then lose this metrics of course.

Hope that helps,
Wei-Chiu Chuang
A very happy Clouderan

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@cloudera.com>.
Haven’t looked into this in details, but we bumped commons-configuration version in Hadoop 3.0 alpha2 in HADOOP-13660 (Upgrade commons-configuration version)

Pretty sure some APIs were changed in between.

I’ll look into this and file a jira if this is a real issue.

Thanks!