Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeff Kowalczyk <jt...@adelphia.net> on 2002/05/04 04:30:26 UTC

Does FOP support merging a PDF doc with a new PDF stream?

I have extensively-formatted, 1-4 page PDF Form documents that I would
like to insert text annotations, equivalent to user-side form filling,
but embedded directly in the original PDF.

Does FOP's API, or any combination of supporting tools, have the ability
to render/import a simple FO->PDF document consiting of text positioned
in absolute coordinates on the page, and overlay/merge it with a
background document that already exists in PDF.

If the simple document existed solely in an annotation layer or other
facilitiy PDF might have for markup, that would be fine.

I suppose this step is more a PDF manipulation feature than FO
rendering, but I thought this group was likely have addressed this
question at some time previously. Thanks.

Re: Does FOP support merging a PDF doc with a new PDF stream?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> Does FOP's API, or any combination of supporting tools, have the ability
> to render/import a simple FO->PDF document consiting of text positioned
> in absolute coordinates on the page, and overlay/merge it with a
> background document that already exists in PDF.

FOP can only redner FO to PDF (and other formats). For
manupulating existing PDF documents you have to use
other tools. Usually iText (http://www.lowagie.com) is
recommended. The iText library is, well, a Java library,
you have to build your customized processing tools on
top of that. For extracting information from existing
PDF you'll need some knowledge of the PDF spec
  http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/acrosdk/docs.html#filefmtspecs
perhaps quite extensive knowledge. PDF is not designed to
provide for that.

J.Pietschmann