Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by rainkid <ra...@rainkid.com> on 2002/06/12 18:15:33 UTC

tomcat not starting

Hello,

I am having trouble starting tomcat 4.

Using the following packages:
tomcat 4.0.3
j2sdk 1.4.0
red hat 7.2 + updates

i have JAVA_HOME set correctly.

tomcat and j2sdk are installed from rpm. java programs compile and run fine.
when issuing a /etc/init.d/tomcat4 start i an 'ok'. sys log reports:

Jun 12 00:09:32 gemini su(pam_unix)[2197]: session opened for user tomcat4
by rainkid(uid=0)
Jun 12 00:09:32 gemini su: Using CATALINA_BASE:   /var/tomcat4
Jun 12 00:09:32 gemini su: Using CATALINA_HOME:   /var/tomcat4
Jun 12 00:09:32 gemini su: Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
Jun 12 00:09:32 gemini su: Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0
Jun 12 00:09:32 gemini su(pam_unix)[2197]: session closed for user tomcat4
Jun 12 00:09:32 gemini tomcat4: dtomcat4 startup succeeded

however , there are no jvm processes running, and no open tomcat ports.
nothing is logged in catalina.out.

running /usr/sbin/dtomcat4 start (dtomcat is actually catalina.sh) i get:
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0

no jvm processes, no tomcat ports opened. nothing logged to catalina.out

running /usr/bin/dtomcat4 run i get a segfault.

running tomcat from source generates the same errors.

i have not had any problems with tomcat 3.x in the past. i would like to
think i know what i am doing, but this has truly baffled me (and quite a few
people on irc as well)

any help appreciated!

(if possible, please CC replies to tomcat@rainkid.com thanks :)

--han.

Line Numbers in compiled code...

Posted by August Detlefsen <au...@yahoo.com>.
How do I get line numbers in my stack trace?

All the org.apache and javax class show line numbers, but my classes do
not:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at showplan.Controller.dispatchContentAction(Controller.java)
        at showplan.Controller.service(Controller.java)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:190)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
        at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:528)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2343)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:468)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpRequestHandler.handle(WarpRequestHandler.java:217)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection.run(WarpConnection.java:194)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

RE: How well does tomcat 4.0.03 work as a HTTP server?

Posted by Anthony Eden <ae...@signaturedomains.com>.
Yes.

Sincerely,
Anthony Eden

Posted by Edward Wilson <we...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by John Roth <jo...@providersolutions.net>.
I agree with Trevor.  Here are a few things to think about as well:
1. Tomcat performance vs. dedicated web server (Apache or IIS):  Tomcat
(supposedly) is not as efficient at serving static content.  We switched off
of IIS/Tomcat because of a problem with SSL and large file uploads to Tomcat
standalone.  Because our app is 90% dynamic content, our tests showed no
change in performance.  If your app is highly static, a dedicated web server
offers some better 'tweaking' capabilities (such as cacheing static images,
etc).  Try it & measure your differences.
2. Using Tomcat in standalone mode does take a layer of complexity out of
the configuration.
3. Drawback: inability to use any other scripting languages in addition to
jsps, such as CGI, PHP, ASP

Just some food for thought!

John

Posted by Sudhir Kumar <su...@cgs.cgsmith.soft.net>.
hi,
	 i hjave a situation where in which i invoke help files through a click of
a button.
i am using a helpbreeze to develop help files. My problem is when the help
is open i need to
work on my application. so i made it non modal. but if i click on help
button again it is opening
another window of help.this should not happen. how will i control it? how
can i make this help file close
by pressing escape key ?? please help..

thanks in advance.
SKN

Re: How well does tomcat 4.0.03 work as a HTTP server?