Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au> on 2006/08/22 14:36:51 UTC

Fixing FOR-533 (was RE: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release)

> ------------------------
> FOR-533     Auto Generate plugins.xml entry
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-533
>
> Last time Ross said:
> > This should stay in 0.8, it's a fairly minor job, I've done most of the
> > preparatory work (I think).

I have looked at this issue and the commits so far, can you explain what is
Left to do on this so I can have a go.

Gav...

Re: Fixing FOR-533 (was RE: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Gav.... wrote:
>>------------------------
>>FOR-533     Auto Generate plugins.xml entry
>>http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-533
>>
>>Last time Ross said:
>>
>>>This should stay in 0.8, it's a fairly minor job, I've done most of the
>>>preparatory work (I think).
>>

> I have looked at this issue and the commits so far, can you explain what is
> Left to do on this so I can have a go.

First, a disclaimer... take a careful note of the "(I think)" at then
end of my comment above and bear in mind that this issue was put forward
for moving to 0.9. If there is more work in it than I estimate then
consider moving it.

Second, another disclaimer... I'm really tired right now so what I type
below may not be 100% accurate. Hopefully it will be enough to get you
started.

I've done some work to define all the information that is needed in each
plugins entry of plugins.xml within the build.xml file of that plugin.
There may be a field or two missing, but they can be added very easily.

We then need to create an XSL that will generate the plugins.xml entry
for that plugin.

Next we need to use that XSL to create the complete plugins.xml file by
looking up all the build.xml files in the defined plugins directory.

There is no need to write the generated plugins.xml file to disk (other
than to the SVN temp workspace when deploying), however, this will be
the first easy hack to do. This would be a hack because we will be
writing to the Forrest source tree with the build files - a definite
nono, but it will allow testing.

Once this is working we will need to reuse the plugins.xml generating
XSL in the core sitemp so that when we request plugins.xml, in order to
generate the plugins index page, it will dynamically generate it from
the available plugins.

(I have a feeling I am missing something important in this last paragraph)

Ross